Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsOther - Family & Relationships · 10 months ago

Does it make sense to continue this online relationship?

I'm in a 'relatiinship' with someone I met online. I really like him, but I'm feeling lost.

He is heavily depressed, and addicted to drugs. It was not always the case, but after something particular happened.

I try my best to help him, but I can only do much. We cannot see each other in real life anytime soon. And I don't feel like I can continue this some more. Especially when he's been emotionally and verbally abusive towards me. I blame it on the drugs, but how can I know it will not get worse if ever we meet in real life, or when he gets sober. Which I am not optimistic about because he refuses categorically to go on a therapy or get a treatment.

What would you do in this situation?

• Edna

My dear -- if you and he don't ever get together in real life, then you don't HAVE a relationship. You're only together "online". Don't make his problems YOUR problems. Block him, don't talk with him any more, and get him out of your life.

Women always think they can fix men. It's generally not possible. What you see is what you get. Why are you attracted to something that you don't approve of?

• Alan H

Sorry.....but it is time to call it a day

• Foofa

I'd tell him he either gets help for himself or you'll be leaving this penpal arrangement.

What is it about this guy - even from a distance - that's keeping you connected to him???? You're not dealing with him in real life, there's no consequence to cutting him off and if he's on drugs and being abusive THAT far away, think about how he'll be with you when you DO meet him. Why are you sticking around -- in hopes that he changes or that you can change him into a sober, respectable man? It's not going to happen, especially in a long distance relationship with someone who doesn't even SEE your expressions when they're being horrible towards you.

All you should do is slowly distance yourself away from this toxic person. Slowly be unavailable to speak, text etc. and find other hobbies and interests to engage in and tell him you're tool busy to keep this relationship going. There's no valid reason for you to be connected with this guy. Good luck!!

• Iam

I don't think you are actually helping him. You are giving him an excuse to keep behaving as he does because you accept his behaviour. To challenge his behaviour tell him that you do NOT accpet it, he has become unnacceptable and for that reason you will no longer be friends, either on line or IRL.

Delete, unfriend, block, whatever, but move on with your life with someone better.

• sounds like a waste of time and effort.

nah................................

You shouldn't be anywhere near this.