Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsCycling · 11 months ago

The 19th bicyclist was killed in NYC accident a few days ago, they ride very fast, do you think they should be banned for their own safety?

I think bikers should be banned because I could have killed a rider myself last year. I'm not sure if I was parked near a bike lane or not, but I went to open my door, but thankfully I hesitated to get something, and a second later a biker whizzed by my car at lightening speed. If I opened my door when I originally wanted to the biker would have smacked into it. If you drive in NYC, be well aware of bikers around your car.

I hadn't driven in NYC for six years before the bicycle incident, and I haven't been there since. Yes, I was shocked to see the cyclist whizzing by my car. Yes, maybe I wasn't paying all the attention I should, but my BFF was dying in Sloan Kettering Hospital, the reason for my NYC trip. All the more reason cyclists should be protected from distracted drivers and banned for their safety.

So let me get this straight. You think that the problem is the cyclist and not the fact that drivers get distracted? Hmmm. OK here is something that you might consider. Mirrors. More to the point, mirrors on your drivers door. Use them before opening them. When I overtake a parked car I usually leave 3 ft clearance. This can naff off the car behind me, but tough, for the very reason you mentioned here.

News flash number 2. Cycles are road vehicles. I do not know about the US, but in the UK we have had the designation of carriage since about the 1850s. This is long before some bloke named Benze was messing about in his shed. So cyclists have been road vehicles longer than cars.

News flash number 3. Many major cities are becoming car free zones, especially in the town centre. London has a congestion charge to discourage excessive use of the car and it is attempting to encourage cyclist into the city centers. What you may find is a similar system used in city centres as a way of making the cities work more efficiently. Sure trucks and delivery vehicles will always need access, but you may find a park and ride system, or other investments in public transport. This means that the cycle will become a very viable commuter tool.

Anyway, unless you are proposing an investment scheme in the cycling infrastructure, you are just going to have to learn to use your mirrors.

Luck

They need to be more careful

I would rather see police crack down on irresponsible drivers who aren't paying attention to their surroundings, than to see innocent cyclists punished for the drivers' mis-deeds.

• pmt853

So check before you open your car door. You might have caused an accident to a cyclist or car or bus or truck or van. Failing to check carefully is down to you.

• D50

More drivers have been killed in NYC than that. It makes lots more sense to ban driving cars for everyone's safety.

By your own admission, you DID NOT LOOK before opening a car door. Your the one that should be banned for everyone else's safety. YOU BROKE THE LAW, not the cyclist.

New York Vehicle & Traffic Law

Sec. 1214

Opening and Closing Vehicle Doors

No person shall open the door of a motor vehicle on the side available to moving traffic unless and until it is reasonably safe to do so, and can be done without interfering with the movement of other traffic, nor shall any person leave a door open on the side of a vehicle available to moving traffic for a period of time longer than necessary to load or unload passengers. https://newyork.public.law/laws/n.y._vehicle_and_t...

• Carlos

Said even better nice

Motorists are required by law to check before opening their door into traffic. If you had opened your door and a passing car took it off, you would be responsible for the damage costs to both cars. Most jurisdictions now ticket drivers who "door" cyclists. It isn't the fault of the cyclist who startled you, it is your fault for not checking to see if there was any traffic of any kind passing by before opening your door

EDIT Sorry, my sincere apologies for not offering my sympathies for your friend and for not understanding that you might have been distracted. But please, be careful from now on

Edit: So you admit that you are not used to driving in NYC and in fact have only driven there once in over 6 years, yet you offer this advice with no real experience. If you are so worried about the welfare of New York City cyclists, take public transportation the next time you have to go there unless you take measures to improve your driving skills. We don't need cycling bans, we need much better driver training

Bikers ride motorcycles and often join clubs. Cyclist ride bicycles. Now maybe you understand why many cyclist don't ride in certian poorly placed bicycle lanes. Cyclist pay taxes also and bicycles are defined as vehicles. Therefore they have just as much right to use any roadways a motorist does. Unless specific road restrictions apply such as a minimum speed limit. I'm not against bicycle lanes and I personally use the ones I know to be safe.

Source(s): Motorized Bicycle Owner and Builder.

New York City is quite populated. I wouldn't be surprised at all.