Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceEconomics · 6 months ago

Why can't I go to McDonald's and give them a speck of gold for payment? Or buy groceries?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Because gold has value, but isn't "legal tender". The same with diamonds, and platinum, and silver, and a dozens of other things.

• ...Show all comments
    • Robert J
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Not being legal tender means they have no legal requirement to take it - so they don't, as they do not want to.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

it's up to anyone to decide what they will accept as "payment" for what you want from them.

While the store can weigh what you claim is gold, how does the store know this is actually gold or the purity?

• donnie
    Lv 4
    6 months ago

Because Gold is not currency. Gold is good to have stored up but not to go and buy a Big Mac meal. They don’t have people in there to inspect and see how much the gold is worth. I mean their dumb teenage kids for the most part.

• 6 months ago

a spec of gold would not cover the price of your order and they are not setup to handle gold. They are not in the gold business.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

I doubt I would accept Gold for a private transaction either!

Reason - Too much hastle! -- The value can change dramatically from one day to the next in either direction, so you need to know the current value, plus have a scale that can accurately measure at least grams (and likely you would want tenths if not hunderth of a gram) through oz. Also, because the value is constantly changing, do something with it the same day - or gamble it will go up in value by the time you do.

Bottom line - it's a hastle - that is of course unless for some reason you actually need gold, and even then, it's easier to just buy it with standard currency.

• 6 months ago

They're not set up to process gold. They'd need to assay it to see how pure it was, and that would cost more than your speck of gold was worth! They'd at least have to be able to weigh it very precisely.

• Jon
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

they don't know if it is gold, or what the value is....

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

you can if its big enough

• 6 months ago

Because it will not fit in cash machine and this is a restaurant.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

I wanna be with me u the whole time 9

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.