Nicole asked in TravelUnited StatesOrlando · 9 months ago

Solo travelling to Florida as a female any tips?

so I've booked to go to Florida Orlando for two weeks through Thomas Cook holiday company. I'm going to an auntie's wedding. Most of time I will be on my own but I will be spending time with family for some of the days . the main things I want to do in Florida is check out the shopping malls for clothing cheap clothing and obviously to eat out and to relax. any tips for me on what to avoid and what to look out for on being safe? Any cheap mall outlets? And obviously I know not to go out alone at night excetera. My parents are a little worried as I'm going by myself , I'm 26yrs old, but I am going to be doing everything in the tourist areas and in the day time. Anything at night time will be with family or family friends.

• Edwena

Well, talk to the relatives who live there. We have been a couple of times and will not go back. The problem being that you have to have a rent car to get around and they have the toll roads fixed so that you can't get on them unless you buy an expensive pass, more than you would use the car. But, if you commit a violation, you are fined by computer to the rent car, and that rent car company adds the fine to your credit card a couple months later. You would think that if they can fine you, they could simply charge you properly for your actual usage and not have to guess and buy an excessive number of tolls, and this would just be normal for renting a car in Orlando. Also, inland Florida itself is not much, so plan on moving to a beach and driving to see the relatives. And watch the neighborhood. A block off of a nice business area is probably a slum, so stay on the main roads.

The tourist areas of Oralndo are quite safe, and have good police coverage to keep it that way.

Really, everything you want to find out about stuff to do that you listed in Orlando can be found online in mere minutes. Most of what you seek can be found on International Drive, There is also a transit shuttle service that runs on I Drive.

• Cammie

Find things to do that make you happy.Look it up.Does a nice hotel make you happy ? Go for it. Swimming ? Disney ?

Sea world ? I have no idea why you want to shop for cheap clothing but if that is your thing, go for it.

I answered your question previously. I'm not sure what kind of reassurance you're looking for. You know that the US has a higher crime rate than the UK, BUT most of that goes on in poor communities and among gangs and drug dealers. It rarely affects tourists. Orlando wouldn't be such a huge draw for families if they thought there was significant danger of crime. It would help to know exactly where you're staying. I'm a woman who has traveled all over the world and all over the US and never had any trouble.

Oh, and if you meet Americans, don't say "auntie". Only 3 years olds say "auntie" in the U.S.

There are several outlet malls in the Orlando. the big one is Orlando International Premium Outlets on International Drive. You really should go there. The other good one is The Mall at Millenia on Conroy Rd.

https://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlet/orlando-inte...

• drip

Just use basic common sense. Be aware of your surroundings

Use a taxi or Uber to get to and from the outlets. Don’t overload yourself with purchases and bags.

Also look at Mears Transportation.

Since you are in a high tourist area, watch for pickpockets.

Use a crossbody bag that zips completely closed. Take the time after each purchase to put away your money/cards and zip your purse.

Premium Outlets are great to go to.

My friends had several UK guests in for a wedding. They kept wanting to go back to WalMart to shop.

• Cogito

I've traveled to Orlando four times with my daughter, and I've never felt at all unsafe, except for when one night I had to make an emergency visit to a roadside block of public toilets (restrooms). It really was essential! Nothing happened, but it looked like a really perfect place to get robbed, raped or murdered.

Steer clear of those and you should be fine.

The Premium Outlets are really good, but have a look through this.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g34515-A...

• zeno

Stop by crystal river and watch the manatees

And other things swim in fresh clean river

Water. I went scuba diving there long ago

And it was very nice. It's not a big tourist

Area and I like that quiet laid back atmosphere.

Learn to enjoy nature but keep an eye out

For alligators and snakes and other predators.

Life is short enjoy as much as you can without

Getting hurt or killed doing it. Keep an eye on

Everything around you in a clam but ready

To move way. Good luck

• zeno

So stop by going to or from Orlando. Travel by rental
      Car and experience more new stuff. Life is short get
      As much as you can out of it. In a calm cool casual
      way.