Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 10 months ago

DRIVING TEST!!?

I am very confused. I have my driving test in a few days, and whenever I see a "Road Work Ahead" sign I always lower down my speed by 25 MPH even when no workers are present. The sign doesn't say a new posted speed limit or anything. I go 25 MPH until it says "end of road work." Will I fail because of that? I was driving with my parents and they asked me why I was slowing down. Now I asked everyone if I'm supposed to do that, and everyone gives me different answers. I don't want to fail. I look it up as well and there isn't anything about it.

Also!! Whenever I go down to 25MPH I feel like cars get annoyed of me.

i live in california

If it says it is a construction zone then you treat it as one. Doesn't matter if you see anyone working or not. As to the speed, if there is a posted speed limit then that is the speed you go AT MAXIMUM. if they didn't post a lower speed limit then it hasn't changed. I have no idea what type of construction zone you are talking about. In my area they are replacing the guard and guide rails along the interstate. They have the lane closed. Unless you go in to the closed lane for some reason you aren't any danger to the workers. So the speed limit is still 55. Just giving an example of why they don't always need to lower it.

• Katie

As the daughter of a road worker and a friend to meny more, as far as I am concerned you are going WAY to fast. 10 mph MAXIMUM until get to the sign telling you are road works have ended. I have known a lot of road workers get seriously injured because of drivers going to fast.

I don’t see what’s the problem

That would be an automatic fail for not keeping up with traffic. Why do you slow down if there is no posted reduction of speed?

In the UK that would be a fail for lack of confidence. That is not a valid reason to slow down.

Check your road code book, it is different in each country

You slow down in a work zone. You don;t do the limit. (25). 15-20. It depends on how long it is. On a highway 25 could be okay.

Every state has different laws but they're usually similar. In MN, where I am, if the work zone speed has not been posted then on any divided highway, the maximum work zone speed limit shall not exceed 55 miles per hour. On other primary roads, the work zone speed limit shall not exceed 40 miles per hour. On secondary roads and in residential areas it shall not exceed 25 mph. You can look up the limits in any state here - https://www.workzonesafety.org/data-resources/laws...

• Ron

Obey traffic signs. Do the signs say "slow for construction"? No they don't. And stop trolling.

No that's highly commendable if you enter a construction zone where it says there are men working slow down that's what you are supposed to do even if there is no speed limit in the area automatically slow down and make like you're looking carefully for construction workers. That will not fail you on the test that will show that you have been studying the book

• Edna

It's highly unlikely that the examiner will ask him to drive in a highway construction area during the road test.