Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 5 months ago

My German grandfather says he respects Adolf Hitler but he understands why people hate him?

My grandfather has a complicated view on Adolf Hitler, he says he respects Hitler for what he tried to do in the name of German people he was a hard warrior just like Genghis Khan. Genghis Khan butchered millions of people with a gay heart hisotory only remembers him as a great ruler, Hitler was similar but in modern times and it is too soon for most people to look at him objectively rather than with sentiment.

However, my grandfather also understands why people despise him and he does not deny the holocaust or say it was good. He says that great warriors cannot take hard measures in white gloves .

Do you think my grand father is a racist?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago
    Favorite Answer

No. His opinion is a little more...reasonable I guess you could say, than most other ones. I don’t agree with it, but I wouldn’t call your grandfather a racist.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 months ago

Dear friend, it is good that you are interested in history. Give a short answer will not work, but you can read the different versions of these sources.

http://gestyy.com/w4vooe

http://gestyy.com/w4vooi

http://gestyy.com/w4vood

http://gestyy.com/w4vook

http://gestyy.com/w4voov

• Fred
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

I cannot see how your grandfather can respect a man whose selfishness caused the deaths of something like 50 million people, and sent children out to fight in a war that was already lost, many without even being given a gun being expected to find a gun of a dead soldier and the ammunition before fighting a strong well armed army of invaders. I assume your grandfather was not brought up in the main cities and came from a rural area where the people did not see what the Nazis were really doing and were getting their information that was given out by the German propaganda showing they were really nice guys. Hitler and his Nazi thugs believed people were only important if they helped the Nazis gain and hold power and believed people's lives beside their own were disposable on Hitler's whim. Before Hitler committed suicide he realised the war for Germany was lost and he verbally abused the German people for not making his dream of world domination become a reality. After all the German people did sacrificing their lives for Hitler and the Nazis he believed they should all die for failing him.

Many people who supported Hitler before the war did not realise how Hitler was manipulating them to set Germany up for war. The Gestapo (the German secret police) were brutal on the German people and a knock on the door was likely a death sentence whether you were innocent or guilty. The Nazis believed only perfect German people who supported the Nazis had the right to live freely, and anyone not deemed as perfect in the Nazis eyes were seen as slaves or should be put to death.

I assume if your grandfather was alive at the time he was only a small child and was sheltered from the realities of the Nazis, and likely his parents were supporters of Hitler's so all he heard about was the way Hitler had rebuilt Germany from its pre-war poverty. Most Germans didn't realise Hitler was borrowing heavily from neighbouring countries to pay for all Germany's new found employment programs and military build up, and his plan was to invade and conquer the countries he had borrowed from and not pay the money back. Many did not realise that the Jews, gays, disabled, gypsies, and other un-desirables of German society under the Nazis were being systematically being murdered on an industrial scale. The Nazis made propaganda films showing these people living healthy lives in beautiful camps being well cared for by the Nazis so the German people would not realise what a murderous political party the Nazis were. The German people did not realise much of Germany's money for the war came from the sale of Jewish assets and money confiscated from Jewish bank accounts after they were murdered.

Your Grandfather came from a different era and was exposed to people as a child with a distorted outlook on what Hitler did for Germany not realising how they were being manipulated by the Nazis. Many Germans could not understand why the allies bombed their cities saying why do they do this to us, not realising this is what the German Luftwaffe had been doing in other countries and the people had no idea of their cruelty and death their military was causing through Europe.

Your grandfather is not a bad man but we quite often develop our beliefs as children from what we hear and see around us. Likely your grandfather did not see what was going on in the cities and he and his parents and neighbours only heard the propaganda believing it that the Nazis were decent people and believing the allies were the villains for invading Germany and that the German people were the good guys. They had little idea of the evil the Nazis were doing away from their rural towns and villages.

Did you know that during the time of Hitler's power that 70,000 Germans were killed by the Nazis for speaking out against the evil of the Nazis. They were killed for being anti Nazi. Even listening to a foreign radio broadcast was punishable by death by the Nazi as they did not want the German public to hear the truth.

• 5 months ago

Your pap is insecure about the reality that anyone could have served hitler, he wants to be proud for his heritage.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Joe
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

How many times will post this ? Run out of original stupid questions ?

• blu
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Racism falls into a broad spectrum f/ implicit bias (people who don't know they are racist) to extremist supremacists w/ a penchant for violent activism on it. Also complicating the issue is how unpopular it is for one to admit they are racist. Thus, we have to judge by behavior.

I would need more about your grandfather than what you submit for an informed answer. But Hitler led f/ a platform of dishonesty, deception and immorality as he engaged some of history's most unforgivable atrocities. Anyone who defends this evil man has (at least) suspect character.

• 5 months ago

Hitler was actually a terrible leader. Here are the German people who are innately competent at organization and Hitler created a completely cumbersome system of OKH/OKW and added the personal fiefdoms of Himmler, Goering, et al. Furthermore there was little to no coordination between Hitler, Tojo and Mussolini, let alone the leaders of Romania and Hungary, etc.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

"he was a hard warrior" No he wasn't, he did no fighting in either war, he suffered no deprivations in WWII – he let his people and allies do that for him.

He was a dictator who reduced his country to smoking ruins, hardly a great warrior.

"hisotory only remembers him as a great ruler" No it doesn't, GK is remembered as a conqueror and killer.

Kilmousey

He was a runner not an infantryman because he was not a fighter.

• ...Show all comments
    • A runner was one of the most dangerous jobs in the war. Think what you want of him, but in WW1 he was a brave soldier.

• 5 months ago

Yes, I understand your grandfather's point of view. Germany had been humiliated after the First World War, with punishing terms under the Treaty of Versailles, loss of territories and world prestige, its economy destroyed, etc. Hitler refused to play the "we are wrong" game and stood up to the English and the French, which was his attempt to restore Germany's honor and to give the German people pride in themselves and their country. It would have worked, too, except for his foolish decision to invade the Soviet Union and declare war on the United States. He should have stopped after the Fall of France.

No, I do not think your grandfather is a racist, just a proud German. Most people did not know what was going on the concentration camps, and the killing really did not start until after the war had begun.

• DW
      Lv 6
      5 months agoReport

I think you're right that most people did not know during the war what happened in the camps, though they had to deliberately turn their eyes to not know.

But the grandfather knows NOW. How does that not change his opinion of Hitler?

• Carson
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

I know older Germans that feel like that. They aren't racist they see it from a different perspective.

After WWI Germany was decimated.

By the late 1930s they were becoming a world power and Hitler had a lot to do with that. Remember many didn't know what was happening except they were living better.

I'm not saying deny the Holocaust or the mass murders of Jews, Gypsies, etc.

If you don't look at the atrocities Hitler committed then what he did was pretty phenomenal.

• ...Show all comments
    • Tina
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Was Germany becoming a world power in the 30s? Hitler was preparing for war - even the autbahns were intended for troop movements. He borrowed money for re-armament, and by 1939 the lenders were beginning to call in their debts.
      This does not sound a 'phenomenal' situation to me.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Who the hell remembers Genghis Khan as a great ruler? Your grandfather must of been a close relative.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.