Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsChemistry · 10 months ago

How can I test and see what is in a certain substance or matter in general?

Like a random plant or mixture that i didn t know the contents of?

Favorite Answer

In general, you don't.

The brach of chemistry that identifies substances and mixtures is called analytical chemistry, and in general it takes an entire, well-equipped laboratory and a wide knowledge of chemistry to identify just anything.

In the case of plants, you probably need to do a DNA analysis, which is more in the realm of biology, but it too requires a large well-equipped laboratory.

• Andre10 months agoReport

Thank you very much for your answer it was very helpful and was exactly what I was looking for. I found a really good book that goes into great detail about what instruments are used for such things and what their functions are :). Again thank you.

Wow the first obvious thing to do is take it to a nursery. They may be able to help you right there. What's your reason for wanting to Analyze This. They may be able to direct you to a co-op or like the college Horticulture classes