Business Idea - Tailor Service Startup?

The idea is bringing a tailor service to office employees. I envision it working in cities like Chicago, NYC, San Fran (anywhere with dense office and high rise buildings).

The idea is that each week (or two) there would be a rep on-site located in tenant amenity areas of an office building where tenants can bring items they need to be hemmed, fixed, etc. The rep on-site will measure and mark, take their items, and return them directly to the tenant/customer the following week. Customers will be notified the service will be on site through a property management email blast and/or notified through an app.

On the back end, the on-site reps will then take the items to a local tailor/home-based tailor that will do the actual sewing. The following week, the items will be brought back to the office for drop off to the customer. This idea sparked due to being an office-based employee myself and needing a tailor, but was either too busy or too lazy to bring/pickup my items from the actual tailor.

The entire concept is mainly centered around convenience to the customer, but think it has potential if executed properly and to scale. I have not put too much thought into the economics yet, but would obviously be a split between the actual tailor who sews items and the company which provides the service. Thoughts? Any advice/ideas are greatly appreciated!

• denise

I think this is a good idea, When I buy clothes at a sale, they may need shortening, taking in e.t.c.

Lots of people dont or dont have time to sew or alter their clothes.

Very few people tailor their clothes anymore...which is why most of the tailors out there have closed.

You'd need buy-in from building management before they will send out any email blasts, or before you can even enter their premises.

The hardest thing for you will be reputation...you have none. A local tailor can do this (perhaps with your assistance) if they are known in that city/area.

I can already get tailors to come to my office or home for new purchases, I bet they'd come to me for alterations if a large enough order...just haven't asked...

Oh YES!!!. the only tailoring places near me are in these places where you can't park and then you have to race to get there before 6...

I am in one of those big cities...I can sew but I rather hate the mending projects....and because i buy on line...many of my clothes need slight alterations to look right.

This is one of the most refreshing new ideas I've ever read on this forum

• Tyler5 months agoReport

Thank you! I am one of those office employees in a big city as well in which I needed like 3 pairs of pants hemmed but was 1) so lazy to actually bring them to the tailor after work 2) tailor was closed 3) Did not want to waste my weekend doing such.

It's too long a wait to get the garment back to the owner.

• Tavy

You won't make any money. In this age of throwaway clothes people don't get their clothes mended. Just about everyone can sew on a button my 15 year old Grandson can, if a hem comes down most men and women can thread a needle.

it is a non starter.

Why not just try it? Start with one office maybe even your own office, do your reserach, take initiative and offer value! See what the actual intereset is like and go from there, else spend years hypothesizing and telling people about your great ideas that you never do anything about. good luck!

• Tyler5 months agoReport

Thank you! I agree, this is an idea that can easily be tested and experimented with before going all in.