Tim asked in PetsCats · 5 months ago

Is it ok to keep cats un fixed? Does it make a huge difference...I'm not concerned about breeding?

if not im concerned with breeding, is it really necessary to get them fixed? thoughts on this

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Angie
    Lv 4
    5 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Both males and females that are unfixed will display some pretty irritating, unwanted sexual behaviors. Both males and females will howl loudly, and trust me, that gets very old at 3 A.M. when you are trying to sleep. Intact males tend to spray, and the odor of the urine is overbearing and often times difficult, if not impossible, to remove from certain fabrics. Over the years, I have taken in several stray cats. I always get them fixed, but sometimes the week or longer wait for their appointments was challenging to say the least. One male ended up destroying a very expensive leather coat. Of course, it had been hanging up, but he clawed it and pulled it down and peed all over it. I ended up having to toss it. But marking is not only limited to intact males. Many unspayed females will also urinate to mark when they are in heat. Breeding is also ALWAYS a possibility. When a male or female can see, hear, or smell another cat, even a cat outdoors, they are far more likely to escape, as their drive to mate is very powerful, and they can become quite inventive and creative when it comes to finding ways to escape. Even if they find no way to escape, they can certainly cause a great deal of damage to your home trying to find a way. Certainly do not expect to have any blinds, screens, or curtains left untouched! It is always best to spay and neuter.

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Unspayed females will howl and come in and out of heat cycles every few weeks. They are likely to pee on things when in heat. They are more prone to early cancers and pyometra if not spayed.

Unneutered males will end up marking your house, furniture, flooring, and will try to get outside to fight and breed if they are not neutered. They also are prone to early testicular cancers.

Spay/neuter by 4-5 months old and you won't have to worry about these things. BTW once a tom sprays in the house, he may not stop after being neutered so get him done early.

• Login to reply the answers
  • PAMELA
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

I would, thousands of unwanted kittens are destroyed every year, iif you have a female and it gets out it will get pregnant,and if a male goes out it will get females pregnant! also a male cat who is not neutered sprays a very nasty smelling stuff all around the house, to tell other males that this is his place, and also to attract females.

• 5 months ago

Females - not altering them leaves them open to Pyometra a DEADLY infection of the uterus that can happen anytime the cat comes into heat. They can also later end up with uterine or ovarian cancer. And of course, they can end up pregnant if they get out.

Males - will spray their SERIOUSLY stinky unaltered male cat piss on your furniture, walls, electronics, EVERYWHERE. Will yowl at all hours of the night wanting to go out and impregnate females. Will SUCCEED in getting out and run over by a car, eaten by a coyote or impregnating females. Can end up with testicular or prostate cancer.

There's NO benefit to NOT altering them. If you don't have cats yet just adopt from a shelter then they will be already altered.

FYI if you want a specific breed of cat the breeder will likely alter the kitten before it is sold to insure you CAN'T breed it. So it's not your choice about breeding or not.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • TK
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

A female will keep cycling into heat if she isn't either spayed or bred. A male is less likely to spray-mark and take off into the neighborhood.

• 5 months ago

A cat that is not spayed or neutered will give you a lot of stress, whether being constantly in heat or constantly trying to get at neighborhood cats that are in heat.

If the cat gets outside, it will get pregnant or get another cat pregnant, or get in a fight with another tomcat that wants to get a cat pregnant, or get hit by a car heedlessly crossing the street to get at the cat in heat.

The only really good reason not to spay or neuter your cat is that you want to breed it.

• Tim5 months agoReport

After reading some of these comments I’m not sure anymore I have lovable 8 week kittens now I’m frightened

• 5 months ago

If you don't have your cat spayed or neutered a male cat is going to act like a male cat and Roam and have his aggressive periods and spray urine. A female cat will do her mating dance and drip on your surroundings and attract every male cat for 20 miles! Spaying and neutering your animals will make them live longer and take away their animal behaviors

• Tim5 months agoReport

Your scaring me

• 5 months ago

If you don't fix a male cat, you stand an excellent chance of it spraying in the house, on your walls and furniture, and your house will reek of cat pee, and the odor is almost impossible to remove. Intact males also tend to fight and wander more, if they get outdoors, so are more likely to be injured or killed. If you don't fix a female cat, you'll have to keep her inside all during each heat if she is not to get pregnant, and females in heat have been known to drive their owners crazy with the yowling and restlessness. And keeping her inside could be hard, because she will really really want to get out and find a male to mate with.

• ...Show all comments
    • Flutter5 months agoReport

Even a female cats will spray. Mine did it in the bathroom sink until her appointment. Thank goodness she is such a thoughtful kitty. lol

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.