promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 8 months ago

Why are coworkers so nosy?

I applied for an internal job at the company, my friend suggested I applied in her department. I was talking to my friend saying that I have an interview and I saw a coworker who was sitting across her was ears dropping.

As I was leaving the office, literally the whole department knew I had an interview and they were like “When do you find if you got the job or not,” I don’t even know these coworkers by the way and I asked “how did you guys know” and they were like we are nosy. What the hell is wrong with these people? The position is not even open until after 3 weeks, I didn’t want everyone knowing the fact that I am leaving my position. I told them tomorrow I have an interview, how do I get these people from department who I don’t even know to stop asking me questions. I wish everybody was like me and don't give a zero interest on whose moving where and which position, I really don't care about what they do and I don't even know them.

What do I tell these people?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Why are they so nosy? They just happen to be satisfied about knowing if they were.

Tell them that it would be proper to go about their own business. Some things are personal and it should be considered right to tell them it's none of their concern but make the request sound professional.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Edna
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

They weren't "ears dropping" ..they were "eves-dropping"

• 8 months ago

Ears dropping. That's what exactly?

• Elaine
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

You brought this on yourself. Perhaps you mentioned the topic to your friend within earshot of co-workers because you wanted them to know. Maybe you wanted to feel important.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 months ago

You allowed this to happen. That was silly.

But you don't have to answer questions just because people want to ask them. If someone asks about any of this, just smile vaguely and say 'Oh, nothing's settled' and get on with your work.

PS The expression is not 'ears dropping'. It is nothing to do with ears. The phrase is 'eaves-dropping'.

• paul
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

a very old troll repost

• Lili
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

"Eavesdropping" is the word.

And if you don't want people listening in on conversations about work-related issues, don't discuss them within earshot of anyone else, for God's sake.

You have only yourself to blame for all of this. YOU were indiscreet; YOU discussed this with your friend where others could hear. That was a very stupid thing to do, and you now really don't have a right to complain.

I think you're just a troll.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Cause they’re bored

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.