Question about British dating etiquettes?

Is it considered rude in UK to ask a man’s salary?

I lived in USA for a while and while dating there, men were very offended and surprised if you asked them their salary. However, here in Pakistan, it’s considered normal to do this and they men won’t be offended. Even if you ask on first meeting/date, it is not considered rude.

In fact, even traditional matchmakers ask about salary for profile before they try to look for a match.

So anyways, is it considered rude to ask man his salary? Especially on the first couple of dates ?

Favorite Answer

Yes, it is rude. It's seen as focusing on something that's not relevant or important.

• Orla C

Funny you should ask that, all the American men I met when I was over there were only too happy to tell me how much money they made every week, but then this was during the 1980s when bragging about how much you earned was the thing.

I think now the subject is considered off-limits and in poor taste.

British dating etiquette:

fish and chips on the first date.

And no questions about teeth, please.

• F

If anyone earns a lot, they'll soon make sure you and everyone else knows.

British people have become terribly materialistic and money and possessions have become the major driving force in many lives

• pmt853

That would be considered rude and inappropriate over here. Rather like asking you how many sexual partners you'd had.

• John P

I agree with Pmt853.

In the UK, it's not socially acceptable generally to talk about money; and especially salaries.

• RR

Nobody asks about another person's salary in UK.

Of course it is rude that would end many dates.

• Clive

It most certainly is. Ask that and any man would think you're only after their money. You just don't generally ask about people's financial circumstances, dating or not - we consider that to be their own affair. It's even more rude than in the USA - the way people there talk about "how much I make" wouldn't be done here.

It is just not talked about unless the relationship gets far enough to consider marriage, and then of course it would come up in conversation about where you can afford to live and how big a wedding you could have.

• Tavy

Terribly rude. Men here would think you were only after their money.

You would never see them again.

UK