Cat asked in Yahoo ProductsYahoo Answers · 12 months ago

Is selecting square images before posting on Yahoo Answers made intentionally to annoy people?

Because there are too many posts? Too many trolls? DDoS?

Sometimes the image is not even clear. It's clearly annoying.

The reason why I'm wondering is that bots could be blocked in an easier way... It could be, for example, matching a word to its corresponding image - much less confusing. Some particular fire hydrant might lay on just a tiny part of the square and I start to panic. Sometimes I feel like my IQ is being tested.

• mom
    Favorite Answer

they want to make sure we are human but you are right, it is getting annoying

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

• Daniel

To Prove that you are a Human being and Not a Bot something new that Yahoo is Testing out Yahoo is trying to Control Spam and Bots and such Its not just you that's seeing them a lot of Other Users are starting to see it come up

Unfortunately its a Requirement Yahoo is Trying to Cut down on the Amount of Spam and Bots on the Site

This is an anti-spam measure to ensure you're a human and not a spammer or spambot. Verizon has already introduced it in late May to heavily curtail spamming on this site.

I don't post or answer often, and I rarely have to complete their little puzzles,

so I would say yes they are making people do that in hopes they stop using the site too often

• .

Yes, we had multiple massive spam bot attacks here in 2018. Not sure exactly why Verizon Media waited until May of 2019 to initiate the reCaptcha as a spam bot deterrent, unless they knew the spam filters already in place on the site were not satisfactory to stop another big attack.

No, it's not made with the intention of annoying people. People CHOOSE to be annoyed (or any other emotion), but many do feel annoyance at it, especially when they have to go through several iterations to post, or when the images one must click to get through it don't match what was asked for (you eventually learn that scooters count as motorcycles and RVs count as busses, for example).

My eyesight is for crap — I can’t tell a bus from a bridge in some of these things. Very annoying.

It's to prevent spam bots and it's working.......less trolls and less spam is great.

I’m pretty sure, it does it every single time it’s honestly ridiculous

It's purpose is to stop spam bots. Better that these repeated crap.