Should I rehome my cat?

Hi, I have a situation I am very stressed about. I currently live with my family cat that I have had for years. I am soon moving in with my boyfriend and his family (to save money on rent) and I have a problem in that I don’t know what to do with my cat. I was originally going to give my cat to a family member to... show more Hi,

I have a situation I am very stressed about. I currently live with my family cat that I have had for years. I am soon moving in with my boyfriend and his family (to save money on rent) and I have a problem in that I don’t know what to do with my cat. I was originally going to give my cat to a family member to look after, but this has just fallen through. My boyfriends family have reluctantly agreed that I can keep him there if I have no other option, but I know someone from work that is willing to take him.

I really don’t know what the best option for the cat is - to stay with me in my boyfriends house or give him to my colleague? I feel very awkward taking him to a house where his parents don’t want him, and I don’t know if my cat would be happier staying with me there or being rehomed to someone else.

I am just devastated at having to get rid of my cat or put him through any distress, I just don’t know what to do. Any help would be appreciated!