emily asked in PetsCats · 5 months ago

Should I rehome my cat?

Hi,

I have a situation I am very stressed about. I currently live with my family cat that I have had for years. I am soon moving in with my boyfriend and his family (to save money on rent) and I have a problem in that I don’t know what to do with my cat. I was originally going to give my cat to a family member to look after, but this has just fallen through. My boyfriends family have reluctantly agreed that I can keep him there if I have no other option, but I know someone from work that is willing to take him.

I really don’t know what the best option for the cat is - to stay with me in my boyfriends house or give him to my colleague? I feel very awkward taking him to a house where his parents don’t want him, and I don’t know if my cat would be happier staying with me there or being rehomed to someone else.

I am just devastated at having to get rid of my cat or put him through any distress, I just don’t know what to do. Any help would be appreciated!

Why don't you try taking your cat with you on a trial bases and if it doesn't work out then rehome your cat. If the lady at work will no longer take him/her try putting a free ad on craigslist or on facebook marketplace.

The cat won't care as long as someone's feeding him.

• Flutter5 months agoReport

That is not true at all. My cats are very bonded to my husband and I and will sit by the door all day if one of us is out. We treat them like family and they love us like family.

• Ocimom

Why are you moving into your boyfriend's parents' house and not your own place? How long do you plan on being in his parents' house? If its short time, then take the cat with you. If you have no plans of moving to your own place for over 6 months, then its best to rehome the cat.

• Anna

She said to save money.

• J C

This is a situation that is not going to have a good ending. Moving in with the BF into his family's house is going to have repercussions well beyond the cat not being welcomed there. Are YOU really gong to be welcomed there? If you don't have the money, then perhaps both of you should stay where you are, and save money. What are you going to do when the relationship sours and you want to move out? Leave your cat with your family, do not take it where it is clearly not wanted. Relationships are often not "forever" and you can't go into this lightly. If you insist on moving in where the cat is not wanted (and possibly you also) then either leave it where it is, or find a new home for it.

You also don't know how long your relationship with your boyfriend will last.

My opinion is that you should not give up a pet of many years for the sake of a boyfriend. You are likely to lose both.

And moving in with people who don't want the cat is not promising either.

I'd say, don't leave your present situation under such unpropitious conditions.

• In

Without digressing into your living arrangements, I would leave the cat at your parents house since it is a familiar environment with familiar people. If they won't keep it then give the cat to your co-worker.

If this is the "family cat" then it is owned by your PARENTS not you. So why is it your decision where it ends up?

Your "boyfriend's house"? This is his PARENTS' house not his. If you're that poor and pathetic that you have to mooch off your boyfriend's parents and can't afford your own place then you have NO business owning pet. Just give it to the friend that wants it and move on. And don't you DARE expect them to give it back if you suddenly decide to actually support yourself and move into your own place.

If you're actually over 18 and this is indeed your cat then how pathetic are you that you would choose this BOYFRIEND over the cat you've had all these years? Odds are your boyfriend is already sleeping with someone else and/or he will dump you in just a matter of months. Then you'll go back to mommy and daddy's and mooch off then and expect your cat back? PATHETIC. I PITY that cat being so unloved!

If the cat can no longer live with your family--"vet" the coworker and if all is well--give your cat to the one willing to take it--your life is not stable right now and that family does not really want the cat-I can't see that ending well----but if your coworker is nice, and stable your cat will also have a stable comfortable life.

• Ron

My first concern is moving in with your boyfriend that's still living with his family. I mean, this guy doesn't have a meaningful job. It would be better for you to drop whatever you have in unnecessary expenses and I mean quite literally that fancy phone and cable and Saturday nights out to stay with your cat (and the peace of mind an animal companion provides).

Not only will this save you the stress of losing your cat, it will save the stress the cat will go through losing you.

Good luck to the both of you

If it's a family cat it's not yours to dispose of. And that's your plan - dispose of the cat.

If you need strangers to tell you what to do with an animal that apparently has been part of your life, you are immature and irresponsible.

You and your bf TOGETHER have to sponge off HIS family?

I'd keep the "family cat" and suggest that you both grow up before you move in together.

And, sure, hand off the cat to anyone who will take it. What could possibly go wrong?