AJ asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicSinging · 6 months ago

Why do my eyes water when I speak or sing in a deeper than normal register?

I have a naturally deeper voice. But, when I speak in an even deeper pitch, or try singing in my normal or deeper voice, I start to tear up a bit. What causes this to happen? Is it the vibrations of my vocal chords triggering my tear ducts or what? Because it doesn't do it when I speak or sing in a higher/tenor range pitch.

Maybe you should see an ENT doctor.

My adult (39) son is, among other things, a sought-after basso singer. Full voice, 3 ledger line Ab. When in HS, he noticed that low Russian choral basses would close their eyes on the lowest note, and reopen them just in time for the cut off. Why? - he wondered. When he grew those notes, he found that it made his skull vibrate - and affected his vision, making him nauseous. Betcha you have something similar.

Sometimes when we concentrate heavily, our other functions go to the wayside. I've noticed that too at work, it's different works than what, you speak of. Concentrating on one thing, may make you forget to blink. If you do not blink often enough your eyes will begin to water.