Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentHealth Care · 6 months ago

I am going for an interview as a trainee dental nurse i have a visible tattoo on my hand should i cover it up with makeup?

Good luck wearing makeup when you need to wash your hands all day???

Here is the bigger issue for you. Some dentists probably wont care and others will absolutely refuse to have you in their practice...you don't want to deceive the latter when you can probably find the former.

• edward

Trainee...what i’m hearing is...not hired. Doesn’t sound like an issue to me. I have a tattoo on my left ankle and one on my left hip. Nothing you need to be special to see. But they are also covered at work. The other nurses have tattoos and they don’t cover them but i would ask after the interview what the dress code is and what the protocol is for tattoos

• Tavy

What's the point, if you are employed by them it will show up sometime when you wash your hands. And there is a lot of hand washing in a Dental surgery.

It depends on how offensive others might take it. I absolutely HATE any visible tat. But they are more socially acceptable nowdays. Id try to hide it for the interview and then if you get the job, ask them.

And as mentioned, you wash your hands between every patient so it does not seem like you would be able to hide it unless you reapply between patients. But, the gloves may cover it too. You always wear gloves when working on a patient.

I have never come across a nurse of any kind with a visible tattoo. What on earth possessed you to deface yourself?

• audrey

I would. Not that it's offensive, but you want to make the best first impression you can! Good luck.

• Sandy

if it's not offensive, it should be fine.