Conservatives! Why is a nearly trillion dollar deficit unbearable and wrong during the largest economic downturn in a century?

But perfectly fine and excusable during a period of economic expansion and full employment?

Care to explain?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Jas B
    Lv 7
    1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

Since President Donald Trump took office, the US has added over $2 trillion in new federal debt.

On 1 August 2012 Trump Tweeted "The deficits under @BarackObama are the highest in America's history. Why is he bankrupting our country?"

So they can't justify it of course, while they constantly criticized Obama for the deficit, when a Republican is president suddenly it does not matter, even though Trump ran with a promise to eliminate the deficit in 8 years.

You can add this to the list of Trump's campaign promises which his supporters have forgotten:

Mexico will pay for the wall, "I will push for a constitutional amendment to impose term limits on all members of Congress.", that he would sue the women who accused him of sexual misconduct, release his tax returns after the audit was completed and his promise to allow working parents to deduct from their income taxes child care expenses for up to four children and elderly dependents, cut the number of tax brackets,.

• 1 year ago

Conservatives do not like deficits nor excessive debt. But there are very few actual conservatives around these days.

Source(s): conservative
  • Anonymous
    1 year ago

You call all of us racists, so we're going to sink your economic fortunes with the largest economic downturn in a century. I hope you enjoy it. You earned it!

• 1 year ago

I just noticed conservative debt watch side USdebtclock.org changed, and added categories for official and actual debt. They've never had that in 10 years of watching. Do you think they're soft pedaling Trump's debt increase?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Future
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Obama had the longest period of uninterrupted growth in our history with no Recessions. Half his debt increase was his first year dealing with the recession and banking bailout that weren't his fault. I know because Fox complained endlessly about "$4 trillion debt increase" - that was bailing out THEIR STUPID RECESSION!

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Because federal revenues go up during a boom. But i agree the debt is a backbreaker in the future its like borrowing money from the ill tempered italian mobster down the street known for knee capping ppl.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

You can live like a king on a debt of a million dollars by pretending to be rich, but the banks won't let you pay off just the interest as a regular person, or give you an interest rate of just over the rate of inflation. They won't let you borrow continually more money, indefinitely into the future, because they assume you will probably die at some point. Global financial crisis, they started to default on the loan repayments, you do that with the wrong people, with trillions, owed to Saudi Arabia, China, they could do anything, potentially, already have to some degree.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.