Curtis asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 6 months ago

During WWII what was the leading cause of death?

I just realized that I was never told what caused the most deaths during World War Two. I would assume it was either bullet wounds or bombing? Maybe it was gassing but I doubt it. Also were there more natural deaths then deaths from the war? Thank you.

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

Toward the end it was probably starvation. All deaths would include civilian. Going by your question.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

• 5 months ago

Thanks to google you could have find out in a couple of minutes.

• harry5 months agoReport

google the gas centre

• 5 months ago

Most people died of same sort of thing they do now, the unfortunate ones died from war related injuries, others died of malnutrition.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 months ago

Deaths are broken down by military deaths from all causes, and civilian deaths are further broken down by deaths due to military action/war crimes and deaths by famine/disease. Military deaths are not broken down by shooting, bombing, death at sea or any other military cause.

Civilian deaths from famine/disease, and all numbers are estimates and the so-called experts don't agree on everything, are pretty close to the total deaths for the military. Both of those numbers are significantly less than the totals for civilian deaths due to military action/war crimes.

• 5 months ago

Disease, famine and crimes against humanity

• 5 months ago

Infection ranked very high. I'm assuming you're talking about soldiers, not general population?

• blu
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

The biggest cause of death was disease and starvation.

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-major-causes-of...

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Depends where you were. In the Siege of Leningrad 1 million died of starvation during the 3 year blockade of the city.

• 6 months ago

It depends on who you read, who you believe.

Believe it or not, starvation was a major cause of death, if not THE major cause of death. Armies coming through an area ate all the food! Of course more civilians and innocent bystanders died than soldiers--also true in modern wars (Afghanistan, Iraq).

Another huge cause of death was bombing. Bombsights were not very 'precision' in those days. so they'd just cover a whole area with bombs.

Finally, more American soldiers died in WWII from diseases than from bullets or bombs or shrapnel.

• ...Show all comments
    • F
      Lv 6
      5 months agoReport

While it's true bomb aiming was not very precise (certainly at the beginning and in night bombing), civilian casulties were also high because the factories were in the town close to residential areas. No one commuted far in the 1940s and there weren't many industrial estates.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.