What's the best way to prepare hot dogs?

The best dogs, best cooking method, best buns, best condiments, etc.

I ask because I stopped at Hotdog Johnny's in Buttsville, NJ and ate one of the worst dogs I have ever had. The place is very popular and you have to stand in line. They fry the dogs in peanut oil. They are the kind of dogs that you can get at the supermarket for $1.99 a pack and the rolls are equally cheap. The lady who sold me the dog was also very rude.

I just wanted to see if anyone else liked hot dogs boiled in oil. No one does.

Favorite Answer

I like buying the Kosher hot dog brands because quite frankly (no pun intended), most hot dog brands contain nothing but crappy, unhealthy over salted fillers with all pieces and parts of God only knows what in them.

My mom used to use a knife to cut a cross in the ends of the hot dog. When they cook, the very ends of the hot dogs splay out and they not only look good, they seem to taste better when the ends are exposed to the grilling or skillet cooking. If you cut deeply to make the cross, the ends of the hot dog will curl and look so festive and brown nicely.

I love grilled hot dogs, but also like them cooked in a cast iron skillet. Boiling is my least favorite way to eat a hot dog. Because a hot dog is already cooked when processed, much like Bologna, hot dogs are easy to heat and serve. You can place them directly on the grill or put them in a skillet with just a tad of oil spray. There is already fat in hot dogs, so not much is needed to heat them.

We would sautee onions and mix in some ketchup to put it on hot dogs. My mom used to also mix chopped pickles with mustard for our hot dogs as well. But, a dollop of chili and some shredded cheese is an all time favorite. Even still there is nothing like a hot dog with plain yellow mustard. We only use the split top hot dog buns because the side cut ones always fall apart.

My dad used to line his hot dog bun with potato chips because he liked some crunch in every bite!

Gosh, a flood of memories of my parents came back of the days gone by when we used to have grilled hot dogs in the back yard using a hibachi grill. Those were the days, my friend!!

• chorle

I like the cooked in oil when they are covered on corn batter :) I have never heard of in oil plan but it it sounds worth a try maybe the in the left over oil next holiday someone cooks lumpia

Cooked over a good ol campfire. Then in a bun with chili

Grill them over charcoal while drinking beer with your buddies.

I like to keep mine simple; put it on a bun, add mustard and chopped onions, eat. Children like ketchup, too.

• John

I'm not nuts for a dog on a bun, so I have a system. Only grilled in my house, she likes them black. Cut a slit lengthwise and insert a slab of good cheese and microwave 30 seconds to melt it. Spread open the halves on bun or bread and put chili. Except in my house I use beans because canned chili is so foul. The east coast "THIS is a hot dog" falls pretty flat when, like me, you hate mustard.

make a slit down the dog,,,,,put a piece of aluminum foil in the toaster oven ..toast till crisp and burnt,, but on the bun with onions and whatever drink a coke or beer,,,,,,byeeeeee

Cooked on low in enough oil to cover the pan. Buns are spread with butter and toasted in the same pan. Condiments: sweet pickle relish, Dijon, sauerkraut

Of the endless possibilitues, I prefer a charcoal grilled dog, hot but not split, on a toasted bun. Sweet relish, chopped onion, mustard and a bit of chili sauce.

Best hot dogs. Well, there aren't any GOOD hot dogs. I guess for commercial brands, Hebrew National is about the best. Some butcher shops (a few) make their own hot dogs in the back of the shop--those might be good. Otherwise I think I'd rather have a bratwurst, polish sausage, something like that.

Best buns. Whole wheat if you could get them. by which I mean 100% whole wheat. If I really wanted the best, I'd bake them myself (I can do that!) Or I might call up a few artisan bakeries around here and ask if they make them. Otherwise there's not much difference between hot dog buns.

Best cooking method. Definitely charcoal. A propane grill might be okay, but I like the charcoal taste. (Do you remember Hank Hill? "I sell propane and propane accessories." He always said 'Taste the meat, not the heat'. But I LIKE the taste of the wood smoke.

Condiments. That's a matter of personal taste. I'd say some good grainy artisan mustard would be good (like a specialty small-production Dijon-style mustard). And maybe minced onions (they give me heartburn but it's worth it.) Some people like pickle relish, so I'd have that available but not for me thinks. Ketchup has no place on a hot dog. And I believe there is a special place in Hell reserved for people who serve a hot dog with mayo on it! 8^O

As Linus (from Peanuts) said, a hot dog tastes best with a baseball game in front of it. But a picnic is good enough. With lawn games, kids running around making noise, and of course a nice cold beer.

Octopus hotdogs. Google it. ;)