Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 10 months ago

Do you get billed more for Dr.'s visits without health insurance?

I have had health insurance on and off the past few years. I feel like I get billed more by doctors and hospitals when I DON'T have health insurance. Not sure if it's just my imagination and wondering if this is actually the case and normal? I hear that insurers can negotiate down the prices, but what the heck? Why is that if it's true?

The only thing we don't have insurance for is dental. Our dentist charges us 80% of what they bill when you have insurance, IF we pay by cash or check.

You are probably being billed a lesser amount than what your doctor would bill the insurance. But with no insurance to cover any of that cost, it can cost you more out of your pocket. Even though you are being billed for less.

• Kini

When you dont carry insurance you have to pay the whole bill and that costs more than medical services when you are insured since you only pay the co-pay and insurance pays the rest.

It cost less if you're a cash paying person. I've paid cash before & not used my insurance since I have a very, very high deductible.

Doctors tend to charge slightly lower rates if you don't have insurance, you just need to ask upfront (if possible) or negotiate with the billing/collections department after the fact.

Are you just talking about your out of pocket or the full cost of treatment?

• Erik

just tough it out

Yes, as a private pay, you pay LIST price while insurance companies have established and pay lower rates. [My plan would have insurance companies and prompt self pays pay the same amount.] For you: There is a growing trend where doctors set the price and only collect from the customer, then the customer can send the bill through their insurance company. I have NOT heard of any hospitals doing this.

Yes. If you don't have insurance, then they can charge whatever they want (sometimes you can negotiate with them). With insurance, if the doctor or hospital is in network, then they can only charge what the insurance allows.

• NA

Always ask if there is a discount for cash when you don't have insurance. The rack tates are high.

Insurers can negotiate prices, but doctors offices usuaIIy have speciaI rates for peopIe without insurance. lf you specificaIIy caII them to make an appointment and teII them you don't have insurance and ask for their rates, some are more IikeIy to bump down the cost.