I have an antique butcher block. It weighs @500 lbs, and people have suggested that I put wheels on it. How?

Attachment image

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago

Leave it be. Adding wheels will make it look ugly.....plus, there is NO need to add wheels to it.

• 3 months ago

You are going to need some industrial wheel that can collectively bear all of that weight. My butcher block is a large piece of furniture that weighs a great deal. It came with casters; two of the four wheels, one front right and one left back have a lever to lock the wheels so the butcher block does not move.

Typically, large casters need drill holes in the bottom of the legs for installation. However, there are probably casters available with metal plates on them to screw to the bottom of the legs, but getting the right size could be challenging. You are going to have to get that butcher block on it's side to do the work for caster installation. How you stand it back up i with wheels is going to be a nightmare.

I wonder if you can rent some sort of lift.

I have butcher block counter tops, but I do not cut on them. I use a cutting board instead. If you use your butcher block to cut upon, I find that Mineral Oil is a great wood conditioner. It is good to clean wood cutting surfaces every now and again with some bleach and water to kill any bacteria, followed by a coating of Mineral Oil. I finished my oak butcher block counter tops with Salad Bowl Finish for a nice sheen. If you want a natural patina, use Minwax Antique Oil. That stuff is fantastic and water proof. I used the Minwax product on an old antique dresser I dropped a bathroom sink into. I love the Antique Oil because it absorbs INTO the wood rather than resting on the surface.

You have an absolutely beautiful butcher block piece there. I cannot believe someone suggested you use it for firewood.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

Wow that looks great

keep it in your home as

decorative piece! Don't mess

it up cutting on it!

• 3 months ago

How far do you have to move it, and over what surface, and how often? I wonder if teflon sliders might be an alternative. They can work remarkably well. I have used them to move a fully-stocked pop machine across a concrete floor. With enough people to push properly in the right places, of course

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 months ago

Considering butchers can butch just fine on a 2x4 table of solid maple if it is still wood..., yours is FIREWOOD. You see the tables they work on are mainly stainless steel.

. Wood holds blood and blood get moldy so it is not the best for anything but the fireplace.

No way is that 500 lbs.

If it was then it is blood soaked or unhygienic to cut meat on.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      3 months agoReport

Why would there be "blood" in your meat? Didn't they properly drain it before delivery?

• John
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Go to the people who suggested that you put wheels on that fine old piece, shake their hands, and thank them heartily for their advice. Especially the Harbor Frieght/Home Depot guys. Then sit down on yer sofa and crack open a brewski.

• 3 months ago

you want the commercial grade wheels designed for appliance moving. sources such as HarborFreight and NorthernTools likely have these online.

• chris
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

After looking at some of these, I see they sell for between $1,000 to $2,000 dollars. Some have a "date stamp" underneath that would add value and of course, if the name on the side was legible, it would also add value to your block. I have also seen some (online) that have wheels. It looks terrible!

If you are persistent on making it mobile, and have reasonably level floors, (wouldn't want that thing rolling at me on a slow morning! LOL!) I would go with the "cart" idea others have suggested. But, I would trim the sides of the cart / dolly with boards that cover the wheels and extend up about 3/4" on all sides to create a storage tray under the block. Then I would beat the crap out of them to make them look antique with a stain to match the legs.

Good luck!

Great looking piece!

• 3 months ago

Stand it on a frame or trolley or something which has wheels. Don't screw wheels directly to it, that will ruin its value.

• 3 months ago

There is no way that weighs 500 pounds.

• STEVEN F
      Lv 7
      3 months agoReport

chris: Your comment assumes a tree that isn't large enough for that block to be ALL heartwood. Either way laminated heartwood IS solid.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.