Raych asked in TravelCruise Travel · 1 year ago

Have u ever worked on a cruise ship? Would u recommend it and why or why not?

I spoke with many cruise workers on my last cruise ........and whenever I asked about hours or pay.........

they gave you that pained smiled, that said........."Please don't ask.........I'll get fired if I say anything"-

I saw one girl.....who I swear must have been TRIPLETS.....because she was literally all over the ship, at nearly every event, at every contest......at every quiz........which involved numerous costume changes.......

and I got her aside and asked her........how many hours a day DO you work? and her eyes darted around the room, as if searching for the hidden camera and microphones, and all she said was......." I LOVE MY JOB! "

and then dashed off to the next event.

I asked a bartender the same question.........Weren't you the guy I just saw up on the pool deck, running the event. ? and he did the same thing.........like checked to see who was listening first.........and then just asked, very cheerily.........."What can I get you sir" ?

You get the very distinct feeling asking about hours or pay is a very strict NO NO.

The hours are long, the pay is poor and they don't like Americans because Americans don't like working for peanuts.

• 1 year ago

If you have a skill, like massage therapy, or knowledge that would enable you to give presentations, it can be a good way to travel. If you don't, and you are talking about support staff (bartenders, housekeepers, etc), no. The hours are awful, and the pay is very low. I've never seen an American working in one of those positions on a cruise ship.

• 1 year ago

With the exception of certain positions, most westerners aren't a good fit.

You work 7 days a week on 2-10 month contracts, up to 10-20 hours a day.

1 year ago

Nope...............................................