2yr old Concerns of Autism?

Our pediatrician is concerned about our 2yr old’s behavior. She suspects he is falling under the autism spectrum. The reason why she suspects this is because he doesn’t like going to the doctor’s office and he cries and yells when we are in the room when she approaches him with her stethoscope and to check his ears etc.. she tries to calm him down by showing him the stethoscope but he usually doesn’t even want to see it. We have been referred to get him checked out. My questions come in after being his mother, knowing him very well, he speaks in two-three word sentences. He knows his colors, shapes, all the names of safari animals, barn animals etc He knows how to spell certain words, he knows how to count to 20, knows his alphabet and says silly things like “oh man” repeats everything we say, plays with brother and sister even though they’re older than him (12yrs old and 14yrs old)etc.. so why would she think he is falling under the autism spectrum because he’s scared of being at the doctors?

I have a 2yr old (almost 3) who was just evaluated by early intervention for autism. He is not yet formally diagnosed but we were told he has it as a disability for an IEP. My son cannot do any of the things you just explained about your child. Although the spectrum is very large it sounds like in that aspect your son is on track developmentally. A fear of the doctors office alone shouldn't signal that a child is autistic. What child his age wouldn't be scared of a doctor sticking things in his ears and coming at him with stethoscopes and medical stuff. If your instinct is telling you that he is fine developmentally and you feel like there is no problems then I would tell your son's doctor that you don't feel he needs an evaluation.

Not getting into this discussion, but surely you're aware that many autistic children are very intelligent.

What's the concern? If the child has autism you will get free sympathy for the rest of your lives and you can be pretentious without repercussion.

I think a mother's instinct is often better than the doctors.

He probably doesn't have it.

I think that's pretty good if he speaks that well at 2 years old.

My son didn't start speaking in more than 2 word phrases until 3 1/2.

Does he respond to you and siblings when they

call his name? Does he appear to hear

everything you say? Autistic kids may

hear it, but they are not moved to respond,

but they hear what you say just fine.

Kids on the autistic spectrum also have

a tendency to walk on their tip toes sometimes.

im sure she suspects it for more than that. it cant help to get him checked out. That being said, autism can be extremely mild. My fiance has it and didnt even know until he was in his mid 20s. sounds like even if he DOES have it, it would be extremely high functioning autism, in which case he can still live a totally normal life like my man does. however if that's the sole reason your doctor suspects it, you may need a new doctor.

Another lazy parent looking to put a label on a child that has nothing wrong with them

Thats a NORMAL reaction for any child

that's not autism, hes just throwing a tantrum. your doctor is full of ****

If that is the sole reason she suspects it, you need a different doctor.

Most 2 year olds don't feel very positive about doctors' offices.