Can I write off donated wages?

The hair salon I work for wants to donate all wages made this coming Friday and Saturday towards a local charity. We all work on commission and therefore I will be donating approximately $300 of my wage, something I cannot really afford. Can anyone advise whether this is legal for our employer to expect us to do this and if I can write it off as a charitable donation. Thank you.

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

It is not legal to force employees to donate to charity. That said, it is also not illegal for an employer to terminate any employee who is not on a contract, for no reason at all.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

Since you are deemed an independent contractor (something that industry fights tooth and nail to maintain), they have absolutely no right whatsoever to require any wages be donated...period.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

If it's done through work, the amount just won't show up on your w2 or 1099, so there will be nothing to write off. If it does get included there, you could deduct it as a charitable contribution but only if you itemize, which most people can't. Even if you can, a deduction doesn't mean you're reimbursed through your taxes. A $300 deduction might save you around $36 in tax. the other $264 comes out of your pocket.

• A Hunch
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

They would have to include the money on the W2 to show that the person earned minimum wage.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

< The hair salon I work for wants to donate all wages made this coming Friday and Saturday towards a local charity. >

They sure are generous with your money. Tell them they are more than welcome to donate the equivalent to what you make that day out of their own pockets.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

Call in sick on Friday and Saturday.......

• Eva
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

It is not legal. With the new, higher standard deduction it is unlikely you would be able to write it off. Your employer cannot force you to participate and it would seem excessive to ask you to donate 2 days, much less your 2 busiest days of the week.

• DEBS
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Your employer cannot force you to do this. If your employer actually cared, they would be donating an amount equivalent to what you all donate or earn. As is, the employer is doing nothing.

Monetary donations from you make are tax deductible by you. That means you might save a few dollars on your taxes at most.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

No. You cannot deduct the value of your time as a charitable contribution.

Your employer cannot legally require you to work for free, either.

If you were self-employed, you would be able to deduct the cost of the supplies you used (for example, perms and hair dye) as a business expense, but you again you cannot deduct the value of your time.

If your employer were to pay you as usual and then you made a charitable contribution of money to an actual charity, you could deduct the amount of your monetary donation (if you have enough deductions to itemize your deductions).

Donating your time is not the same thing as donating your wages. And your employer can't require you to do either.

• Teal
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Your employer can choose to donate the profits from the day's work, but they still need to pay you your wage. They can't force you to work for free. Clarify this with your boss, but make it clear you aren't interested in volunteering.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Nope....................................

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.