How can I save my DVD collection so I can view or stream them on my TV without using the disc or the DVD player?

I have approx 500 DVD's

Not to put too fine a point on it...

that project is going to be a lot more work than it is worth.

Your best option would be to rip the DVDs to your PC and then transfer them to a flash drive. I use Handbrake to rip DVDs. However, by default it will not rip copy-protected movies (which are pretty much all store-bought movies), so you will need to find a work around (plenty of easy tutorials). Once the movie has been ripped, you can just copy it to a flash drive to watch.

Just be aware of whatever files/formats your TV supports. Read the documentation and adjust the settings in whatever program you use so that your TV can properly read the movie files. Also, ripping a movie can take a long time depending on your PC's power. I expect something like this to take 30 minutes to a few hours per movie, so just be prepared for a lot of work. This isn't something you can do in a few hours.

As far as how many movies you can fit in a flash drive, it depends on the flash drive's capacity and the size of your movie files.

You would first need a DVD ripper to convert to MP4 files. Move the files to a USB drive. Plug into your smart TV.

• boggleman4 months agoReport

That sounds easy, thank you - how many DVD's would fit onto a USB roughly?

When Windows XP was the thing, I used to just drag the files from within the DVD onto my computer. It created a folder with two other folders in it (one for audio and one for video). The audio folder was empty, but I had to leave it because I noticed that things wouldn't work if I deleted it. The video folder had mostly VOB files in it (a couple other types of files too). I had used WMP with K-Lite Codec Pack to play the files (you have to make sure you get the one that plays DVD files, I think the Standard package), although, it (K-Lite's Standard Pack) had screwed up my CD burner so it didn't burn CDs anymore. I recently tried this on Windows 10 and it didn't work at all. Even VLC player wouldn't play the DVD files, so I downloaded an actual VOB file player. It's MPC-HC.

If you have an android box (or a lot of tvs these days) there should be a USB slot, if you convert your movie into avi, mkv, mp4 format, you should be able to toss it on a flash drive. Otherwise, play the movie on your computer and have an hdmi cable from your laptop to your tv