Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetOther - Computers · 6 months ago

New computer specs aren't what I ordered?

I just bought a new computer online from the companies website. the configurations both on the site and in my recipt saw processor is 2.1ghz up to 3.9ghz with turbo boost and a 1 terabyte hard drive. however, my computer speccs show the processor only goes to 2.3ghz and the hard drive is only 930 gigabytes.

did they send me the wrong thing or am i misunderstanding something.

What my computer says my specs are:https://www.flickr.com/photos/65082826@N07/4852261...

What i was told they are: https://www.flickr.com/photos/65082826@N07/4852278...

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago

no, it is fine, you did not get hosed

• Login to reply the answers
  • 5 months ago

That is normal in both cases. The CPU overclock to 3.9ghz is probably possible, but only with the other hardware being superior to what is in your system.

• Dick
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

I would believe the CPU specs to be more like 2.1 GHz and turbo up to 2.9 GHz but I don't recall ever seeing one with a range of 2.1 to 3.9. Also drive capacities are always rounded up so your 930 GB is advertised as a 1TB. It's really false advertising but it's been the norm for many, many years. Go back to the original page that advertised your computer and re-read the specs. I suspect you read 2.1 to 2.9 and interpreted it to be 2.1 to 3.9.

• ...Show all comments
    • Just Wondering0001
      Lv 6
      6 months agoReport

Oh, Plus the harddrive requires a certain amount of space to be allocated to operqating information, so the 1000 Gigabytes wasd before the informational files were added to it. Normal, not a cheating company, although not the most blindingly honest with th their disclaimers either.

• keerok
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

The hard drive is fine. It's not exact but close enough. You usually won't get what's stated because of conflicting standards (there are actually two definitions of the MB and TB both of which are correct) and internal maintenance software installed in the hard disk do occupy some space too.

The processor is safely within the range of what's declared in your receipt. Intel declares processor speed at the base (slowest). Intel goes further by not guaranteeing Turbo Boost to reach maximum declared speed. There are many other factors affecting it.

You got exactly what you intended to buy but if you're still confused, call the store.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

send them back and ask them to send you what you ordered

• 6 months ago

the size of the HHD maybe because there is a hidden drive which is the restore/backup for the operating system. Be design, it won't show in the drive specs.

as for the cpu, run DxDiag from the command prompt. that will tell you what cpu is actually installed. you can then look up the specs of the cpu at maker's website. note that poor quality load tests won't actually push the processor to maximum speeds ... they just don't demand enough of it. also, the cpu won't speed up beyond the thermal maximum [temperature limit] and that's affected by the cpu cooler installed -- which the cpu maker has no control over

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

It's normal for a hard drive to read about 930 GB or 950 GB if it's a 1 terabyte drive. But as for the processor which is the important thing look in the control panel. Look under system and see what your processor is labeled. And then go online and run a processor speed test there is lots of them out there that will run us processor speed test for you for free. If you find out that they have sold you a processor that is only a 2.3 gigahertz and does not go up to the advertised speed once you run the test you demand an immediate refund and return the computer.

• Alex
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Hard Drives may have the raw capacity of 1TB of data, but you lose some of that space for the File System and the file look-up tables.

And that's not counting if the hard drive is the primary drive for Windows since they partition some of the space for the drive for the OS as well.

As for the CPU...the CPU is rated for a single speed. It can be made to seem like it can go a little faster with clever buffering in software, but that's going to depend on the OS used and the software handling that.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

I think the hard drive is OK as you never get a full capacity as stated because it uses some space to function. Call the firm and ask them to explain 'turbo boost'. If you aren't satisfied ask for a refund or discount.

• P
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

That is the computer you ordered. When you format the hard drive the amount available is always a little less. 930gb is normal for a 1 tb hard drive. You got the processor your paid for. The turbo boost isn't going to show on that screen the way you would expect. You ordered a i3-8145U and that's what you got. The processor is what it is.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/produc...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.