Anonymous

How to get over the fear of getting a job while in school?

This is going to be embarrassing and a lot of you are going to tell me to stop being a pussy and just do it, trust me, I know.

I'm 19, and I've only ever had one job before. I worked at Little Caesars my junior year of high school for exactly 6 shifts. I was too slow of a learner, I was doing everything wrong and I was so awkward. The shift right before I quit, a friend of mine that worked there told me that everyone in the shop was talking **** about me and how bad I was at this job. I freaked out and quit immediately and haven't gotten a job since.

I am just very anxious. I cant even drive my anxiety is so bad (I got my permit at 15 and didn't get my license until a couple months ago and then immediately crashed). So the idea of doing even just and interview makes me hurl. The day of my Little Caesars interview I spent the entire morning throwing up and the entire week after hoping they wouldn't call back. And then every single day I had a shift I'd have an anxiety attack. I just cant learn in such a fast paced environment with people hovering over me and judging me at every second. I KNOW I'm good at ****, and can get **** done on my own, it's just dealing with coworkers makes me want to die. At Little Caesars I felt like I couldn't relate to any of them and if I asked a question I was ******* stupid.

So anyway, I'm a sophomore in college now and obviously I need ******* money and I need to start working whether I like it or not. Any tips to calm the hell down?

• Helen
    Favorite Answer

I have anxiety too so I know how you feel. This is obviously having a very negative impact on your life so it might be best to seek some help from your doctor.

• H

Child! Every job I had, there was always some people who talk **** about me. It was kind of expected since people are gonna be ***holes. Just think of your financial need.

Are you working to make friends or to make money?

Remember that God cares about you and has a desire to comfort you. When I'm unhappy, I pray to God and I find it helpful.

Big wussies never prosper. You have a bleak future.

ALL of us are nervous, anxious, afraid of certain things whether it's starting a new job, having sex for the first time, giving a speech to a large crowd, etc.. It's normal and it's just part of being human.

Learn some coping skills. There are many of them. Practice the ones that work best for you.

For me, a very powerful stress-reducer is to NOT procrastinate. The longer I put something off, the longer I have to stress about it. If something is stressing me out, I try to do that thing as soon as possible.

Another effective stress control tactic is to keep things in perspective. Let's say you get a job flipping burgers or whatever and you get fired. So what? While momentarily unpleasant, In the scope of the 80 years on the planet, it will have absolutely ZERO long-term affect on your life.

Something else for me that works is to keep busy and focused on other things. I do not allow myself to obsess about the thing that's stressing me out. Read a book, play a game with a friend, go for a hike, cook a nice meal...whatever. But don't sit around allowing yourself to wallow in your anxiety.

Make sure you are physically tired at the end of the day. Move your body. A lot. Anxiety/stress is way, way way less likely to disrupt your sleep if you are physically tired at the end of every day.

Well...that's four tips that help me but there are a ton of them out there.

But get over this idea that you should never be stressed, worried or feel anxiety. It's NORMAL. Self-discipline in using coping skills and doing the things you need to do DESPITE fear/anxiety is very, very important. You will get absolutely NOWHERE in life without self-discipline.

You need psychiatric help.

Medication for starters and therapy...

You need medication. An SSRI probably.