promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 10 months ago

Do colleges have secret tunnels and hidden rooms like hogwarts?

I have always liked the mauraders map concept at hogwarts, but i am unfortunately a muggle and will be enrolling at a muggle college.

Are there hidden off limits areas on college campuses and if so I would like to obtain an extremely detailed map of the campus showing every door room and tunnel as well as the storm drain layout.

I plan to have fun exploring the campus on weekends and wonder if hidden areas exist and what kind of off limits areas there are?

Who would know about these areas on a typical campus?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 months ago
    Favorite Answer

"secret"? no

However, there may be tunnels where you don't want students (for example, entrance of water mains, sewers, electrical power, shipping and receiving for materials or for the kitchens or...). These would not be shown on public maps of campus.

They are not "secret" in the sense of being disguised as something else. They would simply be protected by locked doors and signs of "Do Not Enter".

In the same manner, there may be storage space where you do not want students or general public or even teachers to enter. For example, the refrigerated storage room for the kitchen food. Only some kitchen staff would be allowed in there. Because these spaces would normally NOT be shown on public maps, they might be "secret" to some people.

In one place, we had a shooting range "hidden" under the swimming pool deck (not under the pool bottom, but next to it). The range was for the use of the local police (not for the students nor the staff). It was not shown on public maps of the building and had no signage indicating how to get there. Either you knew or... you had no business there.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 10 months ago

the big secret is that if waste this opportunity and your time, your opportunity like your money goes down the rat-hole.

nothing succeeds like success, and that takes hard-work to produce the magic.

• 10 months ago

Hmmm, a 10yo going to college? i don't think so

• John
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

I gather that you really, really, really wish this were so. Unfortunately, it being a University, they are smarter than the incoming students so there will be no secret maps and every place that you are not permitted to go will be securely locked.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 months ago

I went to a university with a central power plant that provided steam heating to all campus buildings (and the associated teaching hospital), so there was a "secret" (not public) network of tunnels beneath the campus. There also were tunnels for people to use that ran from the five main original buildings of the university (the quad buildings), but they were just basically extended basement. Most entrances to the steam tunnels were locked, although there were ways to get in if you really wanted, and in the dead of winter while living off campus, there were times I took the steam tunnels for most of the walk to and from school.

There are always some sort of utility and drainage systems in the underground (pretty much anywhere developed) but nothing so romantic and fun as some sort of Hogwarts system. Likely to encounter rats and other fun vermin. Tend to be really dirty, have high humidity, and stale to smelly air. Many cities have hidden and mostly secret underground networks too.

• 10 months ago

Some may, if they were part of the Underground Railroad. As far as storm sewers go, there are maps showing where they go. However, I suggest that you stay out of them unless you want to risk getting a Darwin Award and raising the average intelligence of the student body.

• Lili
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

The Head of Physical Plant would know, but he's not going to give you a map and let you go exploring. Too dangerous and a potential lawsuit waiting to happen.

Colleges don't have "secret" tunnels or "hidden" rooms (unless you're talking about special rooms in a frat or senior society, something like that), but they do have tunnels and basements and storerooms of various kinds that can be accessed only by workmen and other college personnel.

• 10 months ago

Depends how old the buildings are.

I'm certain that a state university with modern architectures would not have chambers.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.