Website designer refusing to give up domain and claiming we will lose all positive reviews we've accumulated if we cancel monthly service?

if someone built your website and they charge monthly, can they refuse to give up the domain if you cancel their services and i want to build my own website (what is the process behind cancellation and re-acquisition of a web address)? and slso they are saying the reviews we received while utilizing their webpage will be void and affect our ratings... is that allowed?

a

a is in also not s(typo) in *slso

At first who buys the domain and hosting.is it on your name. if answer is yes then no problem- go to c panel change the password after that go to a seo specialist ,he may be solve this problem.here may be you lose some back links.If you have no authentication for the domain - hosting then it should better try to leave this site by entering a complain to proper authority.

Consult reputed web design company

Who owns the domain name? That is the legal question here.

If you own it (you registered it, you are the registered agent, you paid the fees) then you own the name.

If he paid for it, then it is all his, and there is little that you can do.

on the off chance that you are paying regularly scheduled payments on the plan of your website...you got scammed...unless its a super genuine site that cost thousands to structure as a result of all the working hours it took...then I truly don't perceive how your game plan functions

• Andy T

So your contract is renting service with them? I mean I would sell my coding service and perhaps some extra for setting it up with the domain and DB then hands off the completed work. Not ongoing renting.

So as far as I can tell you are just in the wrong contract. You rented, did not own the website and they have legal control of it.

Actually I stood corrected, you do have to rent the actual domain and space like physical stores renting their business location for a small business with light traffic something along the line of $40 for it up to few hundreds for heavy traffic per month. Then a programmer like myself isn't even involved. Contract how they charge you is key and how they back up the reviews (or lack of, note how I described it) is just as important.

• Lv 7

READ YOUR CONTRACT WITH THEM! what are you paying them for EXACTLY? you need to know VERBATIM what was promised, on anything you signed, any emails sent, and any invoices received, and on past bills. build a case against them supporting you.

if you don't have it the contract, ask for a copy from them.

otherwise, involve legal aide (an attourney).

• Chris

Yeah, you got screwed royally.

The person that registered the domain has full control over it; he can do as he wishes with it. If he keeps paying the fees (a domain is about 20$ per year) he can keep it indefinitely.

Regarding the ratings/reviews, where exactly are they? Were they posted by people on your own website?

who registered the domain

if you paid them they may still own it

depends on the wording of the contract, BUT, as HE wrote it, he's probably protected himself.

if you are paying monthly installments on the design of your website...you got scammed...unless its a super legit website that cost thousands to design because of all the man hours it took...then i really don't see how your arrangement works