Why do people love living in new york city so much?

I've been living here for a few years, and quite frankly, I cannot wait to get out. I don't understand what people love about it so much. I've been all over the world and visited hundreds of cities on six continents , and almost every city I've been to was a hundred times nicer than nyc. People who think nyc is the greatest city in the world are either complete idiots or probably haven't traveled the world that much or at all. I think it's messed up that a studio apartment thats a five story walkup, the size of a closet and falling apart, like mine, cost the same as a mansion just a few miles outside the city. One of my friends just moved into a 6 bedroom house in New Jersey, just 5 miles away from the city, and is paying less than half of my studio apartment rent for his mortgage a month. On top of that, theres no way to get around the city without crowds and traffic. If you drive, take a bus, uber, taxi, you have to deal with standstill traffic constantly. The subway is old, slow and ugly, and is only good for manhattan, not so good for the outer boroughs. And every time someone says it’s a fast paced city, I laugh. Yeah it’s so fast paced that a turtle can crawl faster than traffic on the majority of the city’s streets. And just about everyone there is a rude jerk, the girls are nothing but prima donnas, and everything is ridiculously overpriced, even food. I just don't get it

Favorite Answer

beats the heck outta me to .............................................

There are some people who get New York and there are others who do not. You just happen to fall into the latter category. It’s just not your place. Some people love it despite all the drawbacks that you see. As far as rude New Yorkers, I was born there and spent the first 35 years of my life there and I find that New Yorkers are a lot more friendly when you get to know them than the people here in Connecticut where I now unfortunately live. A lot more sociable and a lot more intelligent. And the women are a lot better looking and classier, generally, Not like the overweight, tattooed women you see here walking around in Walmarts Who can’t say utter a single sentence without a f^ck or sh*t inserted in it. Truly disgusting and incredibly ignorant people here. Nauseating. I literally walk around with earplugs a lot of the time so I won’t have to listen to what these people are saying

well, I am the opposite of you............I was born and raised in NYC.......and then traveled the world, and have also been to 6 of the 7 continients except Antarctica. I have been to over 40 countries and many of them numerous times apiece. I have seen most of the major capitals of the world......and there's not a one, that can hold a candle to New York City. Now have the energy, the mix of people , the endless variations of things to do , than NYC.

When I was traveling the world........it didn't matter where I went.....rich , poor , developed, rural...... the middle of the Woods...........it didn't matter........there was ****ALWAYS**** a reference to NEW YORK, somewhere.

Coney Island Ice Cream.-.....in the Phillipines.

A mock statue of liberty,........in Sri Lanka-

A store called BROOKLYN........in Italy. (also the brand name of a chewing gum here........Brooklyn)

****EVERYWHERE**** I went , all over the globe.......you can't escape references to NEW YORK CITY

I summited Mt Fugi in Japan------and when you get to the top.....there's a little shack, selling hot noodles for the climbers ......and as you enter the shack........over the doorway, there's a Bumper sticker, that says.

I (heart) New York City.

Not London, not Tokyo, not Paris, not Rome, not Montreal, not Madrid........ but ***ALWAYS***** some reference to NEW YORK CITY- ---no matter where you go.

I was in a slum in Sri Lanka.....and kids were running around with NY Yankees ballcaps on.

• Mark

Much the same could be said about the whole country supposedly being the gold standard of nations to move to, and succeed in life, except that events are rapidly showing it's anything but great. In other words, a lot of it trades on famous landmarks, myths, and other ingrained beliefs.

I live in San Francisco and yeah I visited NYC twice. Once when there was still the WTC building in early 2000 and the 2nd one in 2003 when there was no WTC. The public transportation is dirty compared to Muni in SF. The food is also average. Eat the chinese food in both cities. And then try the mexican food in both cities. Then you'll know what i'm talkin 'bout......

I heard somebody talking in an elevator in NYC "I used to live here but I moved to SF a year ago. NYC is not so great compared to SF...." So there you go.... I agree with him about NYC and he was a native NYC.....

Regarding the rude people.... there are more street hustlers in NYC than in SF. They sell fake items in NYC. It seems the level of educated people is lower than the one in SF.

It might have something to do with you living there while the people who thinks it’s the greatest city lives in another city. The grass is greener on the other side of the fence. You don’t know what you got till it’s gone.

Have you been to Hong Kong. On Sundays, the city and bus terminals are lined with homeless people. They set up camp and just play games or sleep until Monday comes when people hire them to clean their house or whatever.

NYC is more my type of city. I like to stay up late at night and there are so many places to visit and eat. Here in Boston, things pretty much shuts down after 9 or 10 pm. I didn’t know that there’s a law that says bars have to close at a certain time. If it wants to stay open later, it has to get permission. I always assume that businesses close when they want.

• Mark

Because there's always something to do, like most large cities.

<One of my friends just moved into a 6 bedroom house in New Jersey

Oh, you have bridge and tunnel people for friends? Well, I suppose Paramus is good for shopping.

• atomic fireball

B&T people, yeah. They always stick out like a sore thumb in Manhattan, You can identify them immediately just by the way the talk. I was in Times Square not too long ago walking behind some of them and I knew right away. They’re more ‘foreign’ in Manhattan than actual foreigners