Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsCancer · 10 months ago

Can an alcoholic receive chemo therapy or would any alcoholic have too much liver damage to handle chemo? Or does this vary?

My mother's uncle died of cancer and I understood his alcoholism prevented chemo from being done but he was a severe alcoholic so I figured there may be more to the story since I did not know him real well though we had met.

Favorite Answer

People with cirrhosis can receive chemotherapy, but depending on the type of cancer, stage of the cancer, and stage of the cirrhosis, chemotherapy may reduce life expectancy rather than increase it. I would assume that your uncle may have been in that type of situation, or maybe he chose to forgo the chemo to maximize quality of life for the time remaining. Even with a healthy liver some chemo treatments can make a person extremely ill; If your uncle knew he was likely to die with or without chemo, then all chemo might have done is make him sick.

• LAN

Doesn't matter. This idiot has been spamming variations of this same idiotic post for over a year now. He isn't bright enough to think of a new question to award his alt accounts best answer on.

Maybe he was offered chemo and refused it because you cant drink alcohol during chemo but I would presume it would be because of liver damage

• Pippin

This would be something to be discussed between doctor and patient and would depend on the type of chemo, the amount of liver damage, the overall prognosis and the wishes of the patient.

There are some people who are too frail or ill from a variety of underlying health conditions to tolerate chemo -- but usually there is some treatment available (even if only palliative) for most patients who want it.

best to get the liver checked out before chemo