Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsDrawing & Illustration · 12 months ago

can a person learn to draw like an artist or is that a born talent?

You can be born with a natural talent or not, either or it takes encouragement, commitment, training, focus, and practice.. Say a person is born with a natural ability to hit the right notes(perfect pitch) when singing a song, but never practice can't read notes, can't write or transpose music, he would be very limited, so what good is the talent he was born with? Same with art.

Anyone can learn to draw to a degree...but famous level is a born one .

Just like singers ,guitar players , writers ......

Cool Abstract Paintings And How To Create Abstract Art http://bit.ly/2OVFBPk

It has to be learned.

But it is also true that some people have more talent for it than others.

Most anybody, with practice, can reach a level of excellence. But not everybody can reach a level of brilliance.

It's not exactly a born talent. It's something that some people are better at than others. But really it takes training to hone your skills and passion. My older siblings are pretty talented at art but it's because they love to draw and they took the time to hone their skills.

I had a guy who's pretty much a narcissist in my class one time who would always get pissed off because he thinks he can't draw because he doesn't have a god given talent. I tried to tell him that it takes practice and I would compliment him on his drawings but he would always get aggressive and super defensive. Still wonder how that guy is doing to this day.

There's some trait of talent, but it has to be nurtured and improved by lessons in most cases, to produce excellence. But there are other successful artists who never had a day's tuition.

Everyone* can learn to draw a very good likeness of something, and I say this as an art teacher. I have yet to have a student who didn't improve in my class.

My grandfather was an artist. Of his eight grandchildren only two were encouraged to draw and practise every day from a very young age, and we are the only two good at drawing, and I don't think that's a coincidence. Many have called us talented, but is it talent or is it practise? I know that by the time I hit kindergarten, I likely had hundreds of hours of practise on the other children. Bottom line, in my experience as a teacher and an artist, talent helps and makes it easier, but it's not the determining factor whether someone can learn to draw or not.

The ideas that lie behind great art, not just great likenesses, is something else, though.

_____________

* Certain disabilities excluded

It's a learned skill. You teach yourself. Same as for dancing, hiking, skiing, anything you learn. The more you do it, the better you get.

if you have a passion for drawing then that is all that is needed.

• Elaine

The first thing to keep in mind is that you are looking at hand-eye co-ordination. Some people are better at it than others. SO the answer to your question is yes.