Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 6 months ago

Since my sister died we decided on cremation. Should we have a public or private service?

I am in charge of deciding, she died last night. I can't decide so wanted to let you all decide for me (seriously). Her notice is below. I dotted out our first names and city we live in for privacy on here at my Mom's request. Please advise me, this is a serious question.

....... Harris aged 52 died Sunday, August 11, 2019 of cancer. She is survived by her parents ...... and ...... Harris. Her brothers Peter Harris and ..... (.......) Harris of ........ Also surviving are 3 nieces and one nephew as well as a host of extended family. (NOW THE FUNERAL INFO, WHAT SHOULD WE DO)??

In lieu of flowers memorials may be made to a charity of ones choice that is for the help of developmentally disabled adults and their families.

• y
    Favorite Answer

What would she have wanted? Try to figure that one out and then do so. My SIL wanted a celebration of life party, no service. She wanted it open, she had a lot of friends from all over the place.

Ask the funeral home what might be customary instead of a bunch of strangers on the internet.

This should be a lesson to everyone write your wishes down regardless of age and put it in a safe place or with loved ones.

I am so sorry for your loss

• susan

I'm sorry for your loss.

• Edna

My niece's husband was cremated. They had a funeral service for him before he was cremated. He was laid out in a casket and the casket was open, just like any other funeral.

Sometimes, a memorial service is held after cremation. The cremated remains are in an urn, and the urn is placed on the alter at the front of the church.

You could ask some of her best friends? that's what she would probably want you to do.. sorry about your sister.. my sister that passed would want me to ask that... chin up..

• Lv 4

! million points?? very cool

if she never told you how would she like her funeral arrangements then choose whichever make you feel better. After all, funeral services are to comfort the living, not the dead.

thats up to you what you want to have

It's usually a memorial service after a cremation, not a funeral. I don't know what your situation is-the only reason for having a private service is if you're well known in your community and you think too many people will show up. Those services are usually announced publicly so that anyone who wants to pay their respects to the family can come.