Is a 3.48 general GPA decent for most grad schools?

I have a 3.48 general GPA, a 3.8+ major GPA, and a good GRE. Will a 3.48 GPA hurt me? I notice most grad schools admit like 3.6 or higher on average.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    11 months ago

Depending on the school. But for the most part yes! I got into a few private and UCs with a 3.1 so you should be golden

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 11 months ago

That's marginal. It may depend on the school you went to, and other parts of your applications, like a paper you wrote for a class.

• 11 months ago

Yes that very good

• 11 months ago

It is totally acceptable for Grad School, as most will accept anyone with a 2.0 GPA/.

• Gypsyfish
      Lv 7
      11 months agoReport

That's SO not true!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 11 months ago

It’s perfect that you’re so brilliant

• 11 months ago

How are you defining "good" GRE scores? Are they above the 90th percentile? It's the percentile scores, not just numerical scores, which grad schools consider. Yes, grad school admissions have become increasingly competitive, and minimum GPA of 3.5 to have a chance of acceptance at the more respected schools, or even to qualify to apply for admission at competitive schools.

But with GPA just below 3.5, and GRE percentile score above 85th percentile, you might be accepted at mid-tier school, or your average state university.

• Lili
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

Not really. You want to attend the very best grad school you can possibly get into, and that's going to require a 3.7 or better. You'd need a stellar performance in your major (as in a 4.0) and spectacular recommendations to compensate for an overall 3.48, unless the program just isn't a very good one.

• 11 months ago

What sort of graduate school?

It would be a struggle to get into medical school. Most MSW programs would snap you up.

For non-professional, academic graduate school (such as a Masters or PhD in English or physics), then your GPA is respectable, but admission would depend more on research you performed (and, ideally, papers you published) as an undergrad.

Also, a high GRE (or other appropriate graduate admissions test) score can offset a lower GPA to some extent.

• ...Show all comments
    • Sam Spayed
      Lv 7
      11 months agoReport

I disagree, especially in a science like physics. It won't get him into Harvard, but with a 3.8 major GPA, 3.48 overall, decent research experience and a high GRE score, he'd definitely be a competitive applicant at mid-tier programs. They will care more about his research than his grades.

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

Wow, my GPA was like a 1.2. Nice job! Not too sure about the top notch schools like Harvard, Yale, MIT, etc ..I would imagine they're extremely competitive. You can try them, but other than them, a Masters is all that matters really, an employer doesn't care whether you went to a private college or public at that point. But an Ivy league school would pull weight in most states...especially in the north like NYC

• 11 months ago

"I notice most grad schools admit like 3.6 or higher on average."

There is your answer.

You can try applying based on your major GPA, but you may have to select a tier 2 or 3 grad school.

Good luck

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.