Shawn asked in PetsFish · 10 months ago

Need help with Aquarium Cycling Problem !!!!!!!!!?

So I just finished cycling my aquarium and I used fish food flakes and pure ammonia. The problem is is that all the flakes have built up in the gravel and every time i move a plant all the flakes float to the surface of my water and make it looks very dirty. I know that i need to remove all the flakes but there is so much cause I was an idiot and added alot in the beginning of my cycle. I am really ******* frustrated becuase now i just want to dump all my water out and clean my gravel so i dont have to deal with vaccuming all the dirt out for like a month. I still have the benefical bacteria on my filter and my decorations. I dont want my entire water quality to go down because of that stupid decaying fish food nor do I want any diseases in my tank. What do i do?

Favorite Answer

Save your water, put a new unscented and not an antibacterial bag in a bucket and dump all the conditioned water in it without disturbing the gravel no making a food dust storm. You won't need a hundred percent of the water but at least 2/3 of the conditioned water.

Dump the gravel in a pail or container, pull the the filter and do the same, break down the whole tank. Rewash the tanks inside glass, remove any film build up, only water no soap, no salt no viniger or beach.

Next scrub the gravel between your hands, get all the gunk and food rinsed out. If you have an undergraveo filter, rinse and scrub it clean, any other filters leave alone as they have the established bacteria build already to go.

Set up the tank, start running it. Add the saved water you should not see the floaterw going. The undergravel filters do not establish bacteria builds but most other do so your advantaged by having aged water and a filter that's been seasoned. For what water you couldn't save new water can be drawn, treated and saved until the tank is ready. The water you saved in the pail (if the pail or bucket is new and never had Bleach, soap or chemicals then you shouldnt need to line it.). You can start putting the saved water back into the tank. Better than 3/4 was saved and now has the established bacteria you need.

When your adding the water back use a big glass or jar and do it a scoop at a time. Any gunk or food that transferred over in the water doing a scoop at a time no not disturbing the whole pack it should have settled enough not to be scooped back in the regenerated tank no floaters, If you start getting cloudy water stop and wait about an hour. If still coming up dirty stained looking then dump it and add new, fill the tank back up to the top, if ony missing a gallon fill it all, if two or more put in half what's missing, wait couple hours and have the last of thr water that was drawn hours before and add water. The tank should be ready to go with fish in 24 hours.

I found when I start a tank I use a feeder goldfish or two and let them add the good bacteria. The new tank does not seem to bother them and eirse case if you decide you don't want to keep them you can bring them back to the store. If it's within a week you can usually get a refund.

Good luck

How about a siphoning tube, suction the water out siphoning the material, and do a water change, I don't think it's that hard. If you have a external filter you should be fine

It would take ten minutes to correctly siphon vacuum clean the gravel; do it twice in a month maybe if the first time isn't enough.

That's all you need to do. Nothing else is necessary or helpful.

• Raven

Take your water siphon and siphon the hell out of that gravel. All the way down. Add new dechlorinated water. You may have to do it again, until you have no more food drifting up from the gravel. If you wash the gravel like the above responder said you will kill off the bacteria you just established and have to cycle all over again..

You could just scoop out the gravel in a cup, rinse it. Add back only as much as you need to cover the bottom, the more gravel, the harder to clean.