promotion image of download ymail app
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingGrade-Schooler · 10 months ago

How do I stop my son from being so angry all the time?

I have a son (late elementary age) who has severe anger problems. Last week, I took him to the doctor’s office for a physical checkup and the doctor and nurse told my son and I that he needs to trim his nails. Right after they said that, my son started hitting both of them and screaming insults/curse words at them, causing the appointment to be cut short. He has been sent home from school many times for raging (he even got expelled from two other schools for this). Whenever he gets sent home or suspended, I will ground him and take away all his privileges, which results in him screaming, cursing, and banging on the doors/walls even more. Since the school year begins tomorrow, I'm worried about dealing with these struggles again. According to the school staff, his rages start up as soon as he is criticized (even if he just made a tiny mistake). I've noticed that at home as well. There are several times I’ve had to correct him on tiny errors, and even that has caused him to start attacking me. He becomes extremely rude, hateful, and violent as soon as he hears something he doesn't like. He’s also a bit sluggish and doesn’t work very hard (on chores, schoolwork, or homework). School staff and I do have to push him a little to step up on his work (from what we see, he isn’t struggling with the work, he just doesn’t want to do it), but of course, he ends up attacking us.

What would you do about this behavior? (I sure wish Supernanny was still around... lol)

8 Answers

  • 10 months ago
    Favorite Answer

    In order to get to the root of the problem, you need to find out what is causing his anger.

    It's time to make an appointment with a child psychiatrist for a mental health evaluation.

    The psychiatrist will be able to determine the best type of treatment for him based on the results of the evaluation.

    Meet with the school counselor and principal as soon as possible to explain the problems your son has with accepting constructive criticism from authority figures.

    We have trained crisis counselors at our Hotline that can help you and provide referrals to local resources.

    Take care,

    SM, Counselor

    Boys Town National Hotline


    What's your source?

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Ambar
    Lv 4
    10 months ago

    Check out the following links, they are online line articles with good advice and tips on what has personally helped others facing similar situations …

    I really like this site in the following link, it has many free online line articles with tips and advice on a variety of topics and questions, just scroll down and see what applies or interests you …

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 10 months ago

    A belt to the back side. He doesn't need a doctor or anything. he's a common spoiled rotten brat and is need of a smacking and displine

    You should have ppoped him right in the mouth the second he started to bite. Any child that bites should be popped in the mouth. You only ever need to do it a few times and they will always stop

    grounding never works. It doesn't teach them anything.

    If the curses then you pop him in the mouth after warning him once and only once to stop or he's getting smacked and he will learn real fast to stop

    He bangs on the walls and doors due to YOU allowing it. he's throwing a fit since you don't smack him

    You also coddle him so he throws a fit every time someone tell shim something. if he's rude then you punish him right away

    If he won't do chores then you take everything away from him and he does nothing fun what so ever since he's spoiled and needs to learn that if he wants something he has to work for it

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 10 months ago

    It seems as if you have been aware of your son's anger issues for a long time, but keeping him in his room is not going to solve anything.. Getting expelled not once but twice, cursing and screaming at people, getting sent home from school and even the doctors office, these are signs of a huge problem. Your son probably shouldn't even start school yet because he really needs to see a therapist or other professional who can help get to the cause of his anger. He is only going to get worse unless you can get him there as soon as possible.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 months ago

    Your lucky the doctor and his staff didn't t prefer charges against him., He obviously needs psychiatric help and probably medication.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 10 months ago

    Well for one thing, I am not an expert on this but I think you need to find a psychiatrist or a therapist and see if there's something going on with him and then go from there. They are the experts here and they can help you a lot more than just us answering your question on Yahoo Answers

    I would do it soon as possible before things gets worse.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • audrey
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

    He needs more help than you can give him. He needs a therapist/psychiatrist/psychologist. Before his actions become more dangerous.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 10 months ago

    Your son needs urgently needs a full psychiatric work-up. Including tests on his biochemistry, etc. Which is why it must be a psychiatrist - they hold an MD. Something is very seriously wrong with your son, and you have ignored warning signs for far too long that this is not a mere discipline problem which can be solved by taking away some privileges. Your son is dangerously mentally ill. School counselors should have referred you to a psychiatrist or psychiatric facility quite a while ago due to his extreme rages & physical attacks on others.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.