Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 4 months ago

What would you do if someone kept leaving you unwanted notes for you?

My brother's wife keeps leaving a note giving me instructions. Such as "don't eat this" "don't use this" "don't do that" which is making me angry cause who is she to tell me what I can or can not do.

So what should I tell this BlTCH?

• mom

if this is her home, then you should think of moving out

• Foofa

First I'd ask her how the hell she's getting into your house to do all this.

Tell her you don't want to live with her anymore and move out.

BTW it's weird you live with your brother's wife.

I would ask myself whether my behaviour actually warranted her reminders. If I realised I'd been using stuff that wasn't mine, or doing things I knew she wouldn't like, in HER house - not yours - I would mend my behaviour, and gradually the notes would stop appearing.

It sounds like you are living with them.......... If you are, sit down with them and ask them about their 'house rules'.

• susan

It sounds like she doesn't trust you to respect other people's property. If you gave her a reason to think you might eat food that isn't yours, or use someone's things carelessly or without permission, then now you get to live with the consequences that you caused. I suggest you don't escalate, or the next consequence might be you having to move out.

Edit: After thinking about it, I realize my answer probably wasn't helpful enough. I do think you need to avoid escalating, but as you are angry, you might want pointers how to do that. I suggest: Take up a form of exercise that you can do by yourself, which you do away from home. It may be power walking in the park, or power lifting at a gym, or swinging at balls in a batting cage, or anything you think works best for you. The advantages of this is you can work off your aggressive energy in a non destructive way, while simultaneously giving you and the people you live with a break from each other.

Do you live with your brother and his wife? If so, she might be getting tired of the way you act like you own the place, when you're really a guest who owes them politeness and consideration.

True, the tone of her notes is not friendly. But you might have to stand for that for the present, until you can afford your own place where you can be as messy as you wish.

• g

I think everyone is owed politeness and consideration - I'm wondering if these notes came about because she's tried to talk to the asker but been repeatedly rebuffed or sniped at.

• Elaine

I would just ignore them as they aren't worth getting my knickers in a knot over. I would just file them in the round filing cabinet.

you could tell her goodbye if you dont want to hear it

Off. Why? because somebody kept provoking me with a bunch of unusable orders and then say thay my boss is the one who gets to order me about. Tell her that this is your life and your business and that she is not your boss.