promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Dale asked in Consumer ElectronicsHome Theater · 10 months ago

I have some old surround sound speakers. toshiba model v55htw. Can I buy a receiver for these.?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 months ago

.............No

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 months ago

The pair I had in the early Nineties sounded as though each one had a large capacitor in series with the driver to keep out the deep bass, and Pro Logic surround probably covered 100 Hz - 10 kHz.

A pair of entry-level Polk Audio bookshelf speakers almost certainly covers a larger range, but the reason I no longer have the old ones is that they were stolen a few years later.

• 10 months ago

A the back of the device maybe has a line out,just the preamped signal feed to an exterior amplifier,

B what ohms & power rating are indicated for the original speakers,,

a used amp may fill the bill if A applies,and sends the same ( usually 8 ohms) to the speakers.

• 10 months ago

Not unless you want to blow up either the speakers or fry the receiver.

Plus those speakers are garbage. Buying entry level proper home audio speakers will give you far better sound. Look at some speakers on Amazon, such as the Polk T15 bookshelf speakers, a pair for $100, and a Polk CS-10 center speaker is $99.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 months ago

Unless you find an aftermarket seller or something on E-Bay or such selling system parts, no. The HTiB is sold as a set including the inexpensive proprietary speakers. The advice of most on this site for Broken HTiB sets is, and always has been, to throw them out. Most often they are of non-standard design or Ohm average (many 3 ohm or less), making them improper or even dangerous choices for mating with standard receivers. Bear in mind that these are very cheaply made speakers, you can often replace them with better performing ones that operate at the safer standard 6-8 ohms for as little as $60 dollars a pair or less. Such speakers are not something I would recommend normally, but still, better is better.

I'll note that as an alternative, many salvage parts (drivers, capacitors resistors, etc) from these, for use in hobby projects. This does assume some knowledge of how to adjust, or account for , Ohm balance in building DIY, and bear in mind that caps and resistors can go bad from age.. Coils (chokes) usually don't though. Caps on woofer / drivers: Often some work is done electronically to limit bass extension on cheap speakers that don't mechanically roll off before they start to rattle. Occasionally, these (usually) small drivers are repurposed as mid-range drivers or couplers in larger DIY experiments, especially where their range is limited to their "sweet spots". - At least for test purposes, so depending, might be reserved.

• 10 months ago

That surround system includes amplification,

so a receiver won't do you any good.

If you have only the speakers,

they may or may not be usable with any other amplification.

Consult a home theater installer near you...

• 10 months ago

n

no

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.