promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Marvin
Lv 7
Marvin asked in SportsCycling · 10 months ago

400 watt electric cycle, or 250 watt scooter for a 14 year old to ride to school?

He loves his bicycle, but I do not want him getting to school all sweaty. The trek will be about two miles. I will drive him when the weather sucks.

Update:

We live in LA. It is hot and humid right now. I get a sweat just walking to my car. We go on bike rides every Sunday, and we sweat like hell.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 months ago

An article published in the Wall Street Journal dated June 14, 2019 says, "America Needs More Kids on Bikes". https://www.wsj.com/articles/america-needs-more-ki...

Quit pampering your son. If he likes to ride it, let him ride!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 10 months ago

Two miles? That's not even a good warm-up period. So add a rear rack & panniers (saddle bags) or a trunk bag to the bike. Toss in a towel. Problem cured.

Just how much do parents coddle kids today? Sigh...roll eyes...head in hand.

Attachment image
    • ...Show all comments
    • OldHippie
      Lv 7
      10 months agoReport

1. I haven't had a car in about ELEVEN YEARS! 2. Sweat doesn't start to smell if it's wiped off quickly.

• 10 months ago

Two miles? It is almost impossible to get sweaty riding that short a distance. Let him ride his bike. Forget about assisted bikes or scooters, he doesn't need them. If he loves his bike, allow him to ride it even if he wants to ride it when the weather sucks. Put away your helicopter.

• 10 months ago

Exactly what do you mean by electric scooter? Is this an electric kick scooter or a seated scooter?

1) An electric kick scooter can still be used after the electrical system shuts down. It can be heavy to carry around. Local laws may or may not define it as an electric mobility aide. This would determine if it could be used on a sidewalk. You'll have contact your local DMV and look up your local legal statutes.

2) An electric seated scooter will have to be pushed once the electrical system shuts down. Depending upon it's construction and speed it may or may not be considered an electric mobility device. Local laws may require registration, license and insurance.

3) An electric bicycle can still be used after the electrical system shuts down. However there will be a lot of dead weight to pedal around. Most places in the USA have a minimum age restriction of 16. Other restrictions include maximum motor watt rating and a 20 mph speed limit restriction. Meaning he could get a ticket if going over the speed limit restriction. Check your local legal statutes and with your local DMV.

Source(s): Motorized Bicycle Owner and Builder.
    • ...Show all comments
    • Land Rider Jerry
      Lv 6
      10 months agoReport

I was actually addressing more of the legal issues. Two miles is plenty of distance to receive a ticket. Though kids often go other places after school instead of straight home.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Dze
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

if its flat ground the lower wattage will probably be easier on battery and cheaper .. if its hilly you'll probably need the extra power to push up those ...

• Mtrlpqbiker
      Lv 7
      10 months agoReport

It is only 2 miles. the child doesn't need electric assist

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.