b asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 6 months ago

is learning german difficult?

No anymore with the help internet.

Yes they put words and phrases in weird order and stick a piece of a verb the end of the sentence, sometimes.

• M.

I want a question to answer.

• John P

At school I started with French, which I found fairly easy. Later I learned German, which I found harder. My wife, at a different school, found German easier than French. There is no universal answer to that question, it depends on the individual student. It would also depend on the teachers, as my wife and I agreed.

Microwave: Mikrowellenofen

Haha

In the words of the great Ian Anderson: Nothing is easy

Some people find it difficult, while some others don't ... It's individual...

Personally as a French person, I didn't find it hard to learn ( when I was learning it at school).

No. Millions of Germans do it every day.

For an English speaker, I'd say it's about as difficult as Spanish or French. You can count German as one of the easiest languages to learn for a monolingual English speaker. The two are West Germanic languages that shared a common ancestor 2,000 years ago. Consequently, many words are similar between the two (especially verbs) due to their common roots. Let's not forget that many Germans become proficient English speakers as adults.

If your first language is English (you do not say), the vocabulary is not hard to learn as the words are similar. But you will have a devil of a time with the grammar. In English we rely on the order of the words to determine meaning (put the cat on the mat vs put the mat on the cat), in German nouns decline to determine whether they are the subject or object and the verb goes at the end of the sentence. Even 'the' and 'a' decline. It is an older form of language.

It was my first language but even I have trouble with it.

Yes because you also have to learn to be somewhat racist and a Hitler supporter to speak real German from what I've noticed