Should I go to Prague or Vienna?

I'm spending a week in Central Europe in early November and would like to hear some opinions on whether to stay in Prague or Vienna. Some things I like:

-Love Beer, enjoy wine

-Too old for the party/club scene but like relaxing and having a few drinks. Or even more than a few drinks.

-Enjoy culture, history, museums, music, tours, architecture, sightseeing, etc.

-Certainly willing to take day trips/tours outside of the city.

-Not a foodie but love eating

Also, I'd like to take a day trip to Auschwitz from either city. They both have companies that offer them. It'll be a 15 hour day. I'm an inexperienced traveler and a little bit apprehensive about some random person taking me 5 hours, alone, into the Czech/Polish/Slovakian countryside. Has anyone taken or heard of anyone taking one of these extended tours?

Any help on either of these subjects would be a big help. Thank You!

• Orla C

Prague is in Czechia and Vienna is in Austria, and Auschwitz is miles away from both in Poland. Forget Auschwitz.

Otherwise I would suggest investigating the cost of staying in either city. Go online and explore prices of accommodation and in restaurants. Prague used to be astonishingly cheap, but as its popularity grew, so did its rates. Vienna, on the other hand, was always a bit pricy for most students. This might be the tipping factor, but whichever one you choose, you'll have a great time, they are both wonderful.

With your interests, Prague might be a little better but you really can't go wrong either way. There's a beer guide to Prague here: https://www.praguecitytourism.cz/file/edee/univers...

I would say study the two cities in detail and then go to the one you find the most interesting. To give a small example Alphonse Mucha or Gustav Klimt? Which artist do you prefer. For Mucha you'll want Prague for Klimt you'll want Vienna.

As for the Auschwitz tours, I couldn't say. If I were to go to there, I'd fly directly to Krakow (I believe it's about a 1 hour direct flight from either city) and use one of the guided tours from there. These usually have a lot of online reviews so you can find a good one.

• Benny

Yes, going to Prague or Vienna is a wonderful idea. Enjoy!