Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsRespiratory Diseases · 4 months ago

Will using bleac when I wash the dishes every day cause me COPD or lung damage?

I use bleach every single day to wash the dishes. Been doing that probably since 2013 or 2014. I am 22 years old now.

I use bleach to get rid of bad odors or grease along with dish soap of course. I read that it can cause COPD which was showed in a study of hospital cleaners who used bleach once a week. But I use it everyday. And since last year I've gotten 3 episodes where I can't breathe properly at night, my chest feels heavy and my trhoat is full of phlegm which causes me to cough a lot. I am scared this is lung damage due to using bleach. This only happened 3 times in almost two years.

Should I stop using bleach?? What alternative are there to get rid of odors and grease in dishes?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • PAMELA
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

    You should not use bleach for dishes, you eat off them! ordinary washing up liquid is fine, you can get anti bacterial washing up liquid.

  • 4 months ago

    Bleach is so toxic. I would be afraid if I left even the slightest residue on my dishes.

    If you breathed in the fumes, I wouldn't be a bit surprised that it would cause

    damage to lung tissue.

    Once, I used some bleach to clean out the air-conditioning vents, as mold can

    sometimes grow in due the the condensation from the A/C in the hot muggy place that I live.

    So I poured 1/4 cup bleach into the system, and then it started coming out of the vents.

    I grabbed my cat and ran out of the house.

    (I didn't realize how strong it was, and it made me feel sick.)

  • In
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

    Most dish detergents contain some amount of ammonia and you can't mix ammonia with bleach. It produces chloramine gas which is highly toxic. As a matter of fact, the first line on the back label on the bottle of Dawn Dishwashing Liquid I am looking at right now says specifically "Do not add bleach". By the way, bleach is an oxidant, not a surfactant, and it does not remove grease. If your current dishwashing liquid is not removing grease then try another (like Dawn).

  • Edna
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

    COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder) isn't ONE illness. COPD is an "umbrella" designation for a number of different breathing disorders - chronic bronchitis, or emphasema, or (according to some doctors) asthma. You can't "catch" COPD from using or inhaling bleach that's in your dish water.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Cammie
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

    The problem is mixing the bleach with the dish washing soap. Just use a great degreaser such as dawn.

  • Tavy
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

    No one and I mean no one with any common sense uses bleach to wash dishes. Hot water and detergent is more than enough.

    That is beyond stupid and dangerous. Bleach in hot water causes caustic fumes.

  • 4 months ago

    Yes, bleach is a powerful antioxident, and the fumes cane damage your lungs. Dish soap is just fine, and you can let them soak in hot water and have no problems with them, like the rest of the population.

  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

    i would hope not but i would get your lungs checked out if youre having problems with it

  • VAA
    Lv 4
    4 months ago

    What is more important to you..grease on a dish or BREATHING???? Use dawn and stop with the bleach before you kill yourself.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.