Why is Science so much like religion?

once Scientists have an idea like Scientific Materialism, no matter how irrelevant it becomes in the face of new evidence, they just won't let it go despite the evidence to The Contrary.

Favorite Answer

cause people made them similar

• Joseph

It isn't, not at all. Science demands proof with reproducible results.

I don't hear many scientists talk about "scientific materialism". Usually that term is bandied about by anti-scientists - like those at the Discovery Institute for example. I have a degree in physics and never once heard the term used in my academic studies.

So tell me, what are you calling "scientific materialism"? What "new evidence" refutes it? Also, please give an example of a scientists that adheres to it in-spite of this evidence. That way I'll understand what the hell you are talking about.

My understanding of what is meant by "scientific materialism" is the idea that only the natural world exists. I would argue that the natural world is the only thing subject to the scientific method and therefore the only thing subject to the professional inquiry of scientists. If there is anything supernatural then science cannot explain it.

The Discovery Institute seems to define "scientific materialism" as the denial that humans were created by God and the acceptance of Biological Evolution. If that is your definition then which side is obscurantist and "like religion".

• jeffrcal

I think I do understand what theoretical physics is. I also understand how that is distinct from philosophy.

Anyway, you didn't answer my questions or provide an example so I can understand you.

• Cowboy

Your premise is false and your generalization is unwarranted. Science is not like religion at all and scientists are better than most when it comes to letting go of long-held but unproven beliefs - that's what science is all about - unlike ANY religion.

EMERGENCY NOTICE: Shut down your computer. It will soon cease to function because science has become irrelevant.

• Phil M

Science does the exact opposite of what you said. Haven't you been listening?

Do you see the irony in a religious person being concerned with "evidence"?

So... you're implying that religion is just as "bad" as science then...

Apparently you have some bug up your ___ about science and you actually think you can belittle it by equating it to the thing you love.

Do you ever think about what you say before you say it?

Should I capitalize projection or is small case ok ?

I hate to project on projection so i'll keep it short .

I see you have given every single example you could find of this.

Thank you.