Is the American idea of bearing firearms related to stopping a dictatorship?

Forgive my ignorance as I'm English. Yes we have rain today and yes I'm drinking earl grey and live in a mansion. Chin chin. Is this idea and rationale relevant in modern times? Even if the US military suddenly say took over the country in a military coup like that has happened in some African states. The... show more Forgive my ignorance as I'm English.
Yes we have rain today and yes I'm drinking earl grey and live in a mansion. Chin chin.

Is this idea and rationale relevant in modern times? Even if the US military suddenly say took over the country in a military coup like that has happened in some African states.

The US army would ground to powder any civilian dissent with tanks, artillery, poison gas and fighter jets.
Rifles in the hands of civilians are no match for the full might of a nations military.

So how does your civilians having firearms stop this from happening? To take on the US army the civilian militia need equally more heavy arms like tanks, missiles and fighter jets.
The government could just assassinate the instigators of the revolt.