Why so many heavily armed military on streets of Paris?

Hey, I’m currently vacationing in Paris, France. When we arrived at the airport it was rather intense as we were greeted by a group of 12 military personnel holding automatic assault rifles intensely staring at everyone. Throughout the airport there were more groups of 8 and 10 who were also carrying heavy... show more Hey, I’m currently vacationing in Paris, France.
When we arrived at the airport it was rather intense as we were greeted by a group of 12 military personnel holding automatic assault rifles intensely staring at everyone.
Throughout the airport there were more groups of 8 and 10 who were also carrying heavy assault rifles who again, stare at you very intimidatingly.

While walking around exploring the city we constantly run into groups of either 4 or 6 holding assault rifles dressed in military uniform.

At the Eiffel Tower there are vans with the word ‘security’ driving around packed full of more military personal with additional police cars roaming around the city.

I approached one of the men and asked for directions to a specific location and he started shouting at me in French so I just walked off.

What’s with all the cops and military everywhere? I’ve never seen anything like this it’s kinda scary.