Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 6 months ago

Why do parents force their kids to learn a foreign language that they will never use?

Maybe learning Spanish will help since there are a lot of Spanish people here but at what point will knowing French or German help?

I don't like the verb ' FORCE ' here.Learning a foreign language takes a lot of love for it and an incredible amount of time.So I don't think parents can force it on their children.

My mom put me in the French immersion program from grade 1-12. It’s very helpful. Learning is good for the brain, you can speak to locals in foreign countries when you travel, and, here in Canada, if you speak French you have a better chance of obtaining a job before the monolingual applicants.

• Zirp

Because learning a language that you might not use is better than staying monolingual.

Spanish is not a major language in most of Europe, most of Africa and most of Asia.

I have used my French ,German and Esperanto here in Europe. I never got conversational in Latin though

• 6 months agoReport

I live in America.

Prestige and not taking the kid's needs into account. I once met one who was 15 in a German course for adults that was there because his parents wanted him to learn German. The average age was around 35. He felt so alone, bored, frustrated, irritated and disoriented, like he didn't belong there. He even became violent and didn't want to study nor did he pass the exams. In the end I think the parents realized something was wrong and let him quit. Some parents should listen to their children more...

• bluebellbkk

Of course that was wrong-headed of the parents to put him into a class that wasn't suitable for him. But it was not wrong of them to want him to learn German.

I don't know what country you live in, but in the USA parents do not force kids to learn foreign languages. High schools have classes in foreign languages. Few students advance past the beginner level and most of them soon forget that.

The schools teach languages because it develops the students' minds and increases their knowledge of the world, even if few of them go on to make use of it in later life. How often do you use the algebra, chemistry and history you learned in school, if any

Countless experiments have shown that children who learn more than one language have brains that are more flexible and better developed.

• Cogito

All learning is useful.

You never know what the future will bring.

• A C

It helps them get into college. Also might help if they are traveling abroad.

who really KNOWS they won't use it in the future ??

Because it puts their child ahead of the others. It makes you more advanced.