Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 5 months ago

Why do many people think that this world is evil and hope that human beings will be extinct soon?

Favorite Answer

Do people think that or are you mixing up ideas that are not directly related?

Are people evil? I suppose that is a matter of perspective. Most people are not but we are all capable of wrong-doing. You might consider something to be perfectly OK - using make up, being a passenger in car, heating your home, keeping a pet - but someone else might consider it evil to do things that contribute to environmental harm. You might think it is OK to eat a burger but someone else might think it evil to kill animals for food. There are some things we probably all agree is wrong - murder, robbery, violence, child abuse. Otherwise, it is all a matter of perspective. In general, people are not evil. The world is inanimate and so incapable of being evil.

Humans will be extinct one day unless they can evolve faster than the changes to their environment. That is unlikely, though evolution is a continuous process so we are already changing very slowly. They can delay that crunch-point by artificially protecting themselves from environmental changes or by decreasing the rate of environmental change. Humans will not be extinct soon though it is almost inevitable that they will be one day. That is the fate of most animals, with or without human intervention. It is not something I hope for or expect to see.

The extinction of species does not depend on how 'good' or 'evil' they were.

I often wonder how much of this sort of view is fueled by "projection", ascribing one's own impulses and foibles on all of humanity.

Man is at war with reality. He compares his beliefs about reality with reality itself and assumes the errors are in reality, rather than his beliefs.

• Snoopy

I really have three people in mind now that I think of extinction. Two women and one man. The two women who stole my work and homewrecked me, as well as the batterer who assaulted me. I often think they don't deserve to be here, as they prevented me from living my life and took all my chances and nearly killed me. Murderers or attempted murderers do not deserve this life, good people do. So, I would completely disregard such people. Those who are against striving for perfection are losers who have had their lives set up already by some religious priest. They are the cavemen in Plato's parable. They are the dangerous ones, not good people who ask themselves why and who want to progress and improve.

The world isn't evil, the world is natural.

Human beings are primates. Our closest primate relatives are the common chimpanzee, which are powerful, smart, aggressive and territorial animals. It's our misfortune that we are not more closely related to the Bonobo chimps, which resolve all conflicts by having sex. We are aggressive and warlike by nature. This is tragic rather than evil.

Having said that, we humans have become very powerful, and run the very real risk of destroying not only ourselves but most mammals on the planet in the next 100 years. Humans are a tough species - we survived the Ice Ages with poorer tools than we have now - but I do hope that we have a reduction of 95% in our population, simply to give most species on Earth a chance to recover. We don't have the right to extinguish most mammals, or even frogs.

This is an argument about life in general, not just about human life.

• Cogito

Very few people think that.

And who knows why some people have weird views?

• gerald

we cant cope with winner takes all andi the devil is taking the hindmost that is the evil its the only solution like the peasants of France chopped the kings head off they no longer cared

Sweeper swepper stopper

Fear. They are afraid of other people. They are afraid of being hurt and thus wish hurt upon everyone else.

• Sa5 months agoReport

Mircea The Young I agree with your ideas and hope to make friends with you.