J asked in Entertainment & MusicTelevisionComedy · 11 months ago

Why was The Office season 9 so bad?

I just finished watching The Office (the whole series) for the first time and season 9 had a few good episodes and I enjoyed the addictions of Pete and Clarke. I just thought most of the episodes were either just stupid and not as funny as when Steve Carell was on the show or just extremely boring. Also I hated the fact that they kept showing the mic and camera crew. The Office has been one of my favorite shows I have ever watched but season 9 was just not very good compared to how awesome the rest of the show was.

Blame it on the fundamentally dumb, piss-*** poor writers and producers responsible for forcing Steve Carell to do everything by himself.

They outlived their creativity. Happens with most TV shows that hang on too long.

It went downhill when Michael left. And I think Jim was a bit of a jerk too...

• Will

Because rarely do sitcom continue to be well written after season 5. The only ones I can think of that lasted all the way are Friends, Seinfeld, and Fraiser. Even The Big Bang Theory has gone downhill compared to the early seasons.

• Erik

How many shows stay on the air that long, let alone get better? Steve Carrell was the heart and soul of that show, without him it was over. Plus the Jim and Pam relationship became deadly dull after they got married (just like in real life). Also there was too much turmoil (the main company is sold, they get a new owner, she is replaced, he is replaced, etc.).

This ALWAYS happens to sitcoms the longer they run. A sitcom's best work is usually done in it's first few seasons, and after that it largely just repeats a formula over and over.

The Office's strength, IMHO, was never Steve Carell (who I found too over the top), but rather in the supporting cast. And as time went on, the show really had nowhere left to go with those characters. Dwight and Jim became friends. Jim and Pam were married. Etc. The show just didn't have a direction anymore and attempts to manufacture one never really 'hit'.

But honestly, can you name a sitcom that stayed strong after 9 seasons? If you can, it's probably only one or two of them.

• Erik

Friends sucked, Seinfeld was nowhere near as good near the end, didn't watch the last one.

The slow floundered badly after Michael left. They tried So many things but to me none worked. They do have a perfect two part finale though to save it at the end.

• Kyle

it was obviously a challenge for them to start wrapping it up. they had a lot of character arc stories to try to close as well. i agree not a lot of them were that good as the other seasons, with exception of the finale and first couple episodes, but they had to wrap it up somehow.

overall though, i thought it went as well as it could have.