Have you ever seen the TV Sitcom, The Jeffersons before?

My question is about the fictional family, The Jeffersons. So Archie Bunker and The Jeffersons were neighbors in Queens New York. So I'm assuming that George Jefferson owned a house.

At some point in the TV Sitcom, All In The Family, The Jeffersons move out of their home in Queens, and out to a high-rise apartment building in Manhattan.

My question is this: Why on earth would you move out of a full sized home, and into a small apartment? I understand his business was expanding, but I just cannot understand why you'd move into an apartment from a house, when most people would rather move out of a small apartment to have a larger living space like a house.

I can understand if housing costs are rising and trying to buy a home becomes costly, but this was in the 70's, so not exactly sure how things were at that time.

I heard that the reason why they moved to Manhattan is that living in a high-rise apartment building gave you some kind of status.

Thanks if you can help out.

Wow, so many great answers!! I wish I could choose them all as best answers though, because each of your answers, helps answer my question.

• lj1
    Favorite Answer

Manhattan is a much better part of town than Queens. The Jeffersons moved into a luxury apartment, complete with security and a door man. In real life, that apartment would have had about the same square footage as the house they left behind, maybe more. Plus, as you mentioned, an apartment like that is definitely a status symbol.

• twiigss11 months agoReport

Thank you very much for your answer. I was talking with a friend earlier today and I wondered how much square footage would be in an apartment like that. I never knew they could be as large as a house though. Also, yes, you have security and a door man which I didn't even think of. Thanks again!

Many times. (It was a spin-off of 'All in the Family.)

Of course! My parents watched it all the time. The theme song says all you need to know : "We're moving on up...to a deluxe apartment in the sky... We finally got a piece of the pie". George got rich through his dry cleaning business, and moved his family out of a poorer neighborhood to a high rise apartment in Manhattan, complete with a live-in maid. It was a status symbol that said they had made it.

So, the real reason is that it was a spinoff sitcom and that's where the writers of the new show wanted to set it.

However, it's not difficult to imagine why. Perhaps Jefferson moved to be closer to his business or to move to a better area. Perhaps his mortgage was eating too much of his money, remember interest rates were quite high in the 1970s...not like now when interest rates are near free.

It was a luxury apartment in a desirable area. They didn't necessarily own in Queens. They could have been renting.

• Sky

First question, yes. I watched that show as a little kid, and then saw several episodes again some years ago when they were being rerun on TV (on TV Land, I think). That was a hilarious show. I always loved it when George Jefferson called someone a honky. He said it with attitude..."HAWNKIE!" That cracks me up every time.

Second question, it's a matter of personal preference. If they didn't like their house because it was dumpy, in a bad neighborhood, had crappy neighbors, etc., they may want to move to a nice luxury apartment if they have the means to do it. And also, for the purpose of the TV show, that put neighbors right outside their door so there was a lot of character interaction.

What I never understood was why George always wore a 3 piece suit even in his own house. It was never shorts and a T-shirt, or lounging around in his underwear eating cheetos with a big wooden spoon. I mean, even if I was filthy stinking rich I'd still be going about my day wearing nothing at all, or at most wearing something very casual if I had to go somewhere.

Location was the reason. He needed to be in Manhattan and did not want to commute from queens.

• twiigss11 months agoReport

Thank you for the answer. Yes I have heard this as well. And with the expanding business, it was more better for him to be in Manhattan than Queens.

• Kathy

I use to watch it a long time ago. The hose that they owned was in a lower income neighborhood. When George Jefferson finally got rich, he wanted to live in the ritzy part of Manhattan.

• twiigss11 months agoReport

Ahhhh didn't think of that. Thank you very much for your answer!! :)

it was a TV show, not anything governed by logic .....................

First, they got tired living next door to the Bunkers. They wanted the exciting life in Manhattan. High rise apartments in Manhattan can be as large as a house and there are no maintenance worries.

• twiigss11 months agoReport

WOW! Thanks for the helpful comment! I didn't think about the no maintenance thing and never knew those apartments could be as large as houses either.