Have you ever seen the TV Sitcom, The Jeffersons before?

My question is about the fictional family, The Jeffersons. So Archie Bunker and The Jeffersons were neighbors in Queens New York. So I'm assuming that George Jefferson owned a house. At some point in the TV Sitcom, All In The Family, The Jeffersons move out of their home in Queens, and out to a high-rise... show more My question is about the fictional family, The Jeffersons. So Archie Bunker and The Jeffersons were neighbors in Queens New York. So I'm assuming that George Jefferson owned a house.

At some point in the TV Sitcom, All In The Family, The Jeffersons move out of their home in Queens, and out to a high-rise apartment building in Manhattan.

My question is this: Why on earth would you move out of a full sized home, and into a small apartment? I understand his business was expanding, but I just cannot understand why you'd move into an apartment from a house, when most people would rather move out of a small apartment to have a larger living space like a house.

I can understand if housing costs are rising and trying to buy a home becomes costly, but this was in the 70's, so not exactly sure how things were at that time.

I heard that the reason why they moved to Manhattan is that living in a high-rise apartment building gave you some kind of status.

Thanks if you can help out.
Update: Wow, so many great answers!! I wish I could choose them all as best answers though, because each of your answers, helps answer my question.