Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 4 months ago

How to politely refuse a lunch invitation with someone you are tired of because they only talk about self and dont listen? (non romantic)?

Update:

please no mean sarcastic comments

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Angie
    Lv 4
    4 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Do not ignore the invitation. Respond in a timely manner, and let him/her know that you will be unable to attend. Never lie, and never over explain. Providing an explanation is not necessary, so do not feel obligated to do so. Always thank the person for the invitation, and offer an apology for not being able to attend. Do not say anything that could lead the person to think that you would be interested in rescheduling, such as "Maybe next time," "Let me check my calendar and get back to you," or "I'll call you, and let you know." Keep it brief and simple. "I really appreciate the invitation, unfortunately, I will not be able to attend" will suffice. If the person invites you later on down the road, just repeat the same process. Most people will get the hint, and move on.

• 4 months ago

Don't do the avoidance bull it is stupid. Just say not I'd rather not.

• 4 months ago

Just say thanks but no thanks.

• 4 months ago

Say no thank you. I am not interested.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Frank
    Lv 5
    4 months ago

Lie, you idiot. You make up any of a HUNDRED excuses.

• 4 months ago

"Sorry, I can't."

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

just tell them you have other plans

• 4 months ago

Your reasons for not wanting to go are 100% irrelevant. You just say 'Oh I'm so sorry, I'm afraid I'm rather tied up for a week or two. I'll call you when I'm free'.

Then simply let time slide by.

• drip
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Oh so sorry I can’t . May be another time, I will let you know.

No thanks I am busy.

Keep saying you can’t, too busy, got a meeting, have plans, until they stop asking you.

• Ann
    Lv 6
    4 months ago

Tell them you can't make it. You have an appointment. Things are really hectic around you and you can't break away.

• God
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Start going to lunch at a different time. You have errands to run. Or politely change the subject and talk about your cat or something.

• MJ4 months agoReport

How'd you know I have a cat? Oh..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.