Do you support grid tie solar panels?

Is it worth it?

Is it worth it? You have to decide what you want your home to do for you Mana. Lots of people grow tomatoes in their garden even though it's much easier and even cheaper to buy them at the store, or farmers market if you're into the freshness of home grown. You don't have to buy and plant plants, weed, till, water, pick bugs off and fertilize. You don't have to think about the weather, or soil PH. People with solar panels, like me, just grow electrons in our garden.

Our system has been running for 18 years now. In that time, my electric bill has generally been less than $10 per month. I spent $11,000 putting all the equipment in, is it worth it? If return on investment is all someone is interested in, then no. I could have easily put the same $11,000 into a long term bond fund, and paid the electric bill out of the interest. At the end of 30 years I'd still have the $11,000, instead of a bunch of worn out solar equipment. We also have not been without electricity for even a minute the last 18 years, hard to put a price on that.

People grow tomatoes for lots of reasons, but almost none of them do it so they have food, or to save money. People buy lifted special edition trucks that cost way more than a sedan to buy, or put gas in, not so they can get to work, it's so they can have fun, is that worth it? Most people grow tomatoes for therapeutic reasons, they like gardening, it makes them feel better, gives them a sense of accomplishment and a sense of doing for themselves. I feel the same way when I run my refrigerator and coffee maker on the power of the sun instead of coal. It's worth it to people that enjoy that kind of thing Mana, but if you just want to save money, go buy some LED bulbs and more efficient appliances to cut your electric bill down to size instead. Electricity is really pretty cheap in most developed countries, even if it causes mercury to collect at the bottom of the lake and poisons the fish and people who eat it, leaves coal ash deposits that eventually leach into ground water and rivers, add soot to the sky and carbon to the atmosphere, if you believe in that sort of science. Science used to be something we used to learn in school. Today it's a menu where you can pick and choose the scientific facts that we like, and discard the rest that doesn't agree with our view of the world, kind of like religion today. Whether solar power is worth it is up to you. For me it's a no brainer. I like cleaner air and water, I like when I can still watch TV and put the lights on when the power is out and my neighbors are in the dark. Most of them come over after a while and hang out with us, that's fun too. Take care Mana, Rudydoo

Source(s): homepower.com MREA.ORG

it's the only logical course of action, in the long run, it's completely worth it

As, over all, it reduces my power bill if you have it, yes I do support it.

For me, it depends on the cost versus how much power they produce. I don't see that economically they work yet for the majority of people. I have seen articles that discuss pay backs in as little as 5 to 7 years which would be interesting BUT they provide no information on the size (kW) of the system, what people were paying for electrical power or the cost of the system.

When we were in Belize or Turkey recently, I saw no solar system systems in Belize (which gets a lot more sun than where I live and solar cells are popular where I live) and very few solar cells in Turkey.

For some people, economics are secondary, they believe solar makes sense regardless of the price, their choice.

Different strokes around the world

It is , pollution,s cause is up to a lot of smoke that pipes give, out houses.

They can be good, but it depends on many things whether any particular system is worthwhile.

That totally depends where you are, the cost of the panels and installation - and how much your electricity costs and return payments are.

If you can get a system set up that will eg. pay for itself in electricity saving and return payments withing five years or so, it's a good deal.

If it would take 25 years to save its own costs, it's complete waste of money.

In some places companies will install a system "free" in the basis that they get the energy return payments, but you still get the savings of lower power bills.

The downside is that the company typically words they agreement so they have a lease on you roof and you cannot sell the property without their permission and transferring the lease conditions to the new owner.

• it is i

What is the payback time for power lines to your house if you DONT have panels? How long do you have to pay the power company before they say you no longer need to pay them?---never